Historic church designed by Edward Townsend Mix.
From the 1981 Landmarks Commission/Department of City Development report…
Immanuel Presbyterian Church was founded in 1870 by the merger of First Presbyterian Church on Milwaukee and Mason Streets and North Presbyterian Church on Milwaukee and State Streets. Services were held in the earlier buildings until the completion of the new one on Astor Street. This edifice was deigned by architect Edward Townsend Mix and was opened to the congregation on December 28, 1874.
The building is an excellent example of high Victorian Gothic style. The walls are random ashlar, rock-faced cream-gray Wauwatosa limestone trimmed with red-orange and warm gray sandstone. The main entrance to the west is between two towers, with three arched portals fitted with intricate wrought iron grates, opening onto a recessed porch, which, in turn, gives access to both towers and to the broad vestibule running the length of the church from west to east. From this, three sets of double doors open into the church proper.
The exterior of the church remained virtually the same until 1957-58 when an addition was built to enlarge the chancel and provide space for the rebuilt orange. The inter was substantially altered in 1889-, largely as the result of a fire in December, 1887, which gutted the auditorium and destroyed windows, frescoes, pews, pillars and the organ. As rebuilt, this wing was no longer as colorful and orange as the original. The 1957-58 remodeling brought in new pews and a new alter, and the original wood wainscot and trim were bleached to match the furniture.
Content referencing Immanuel Presbyterian Church
He has been assisting Milwaukee-area families and small businesses with their legal needs for more than 20 years.Jan 4th, 2016 by Ziino, Germanotta, Knoll & Christensen
Annual preservation honors event to be held at Best Place at the PabstMay 19th, 2014 by Ald. Bob Bauman