The Chicago Street Lofts is an apartment complex built in the Cawker Estate Building. Commonly called the Eisner Building while the former museum was operating, the building is a converted warehouse in Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward. Following construction in 1895, the building was leased to Landauer & Co., a wholesale dry goods and notions firm.
Before going online only in 2010, the William F. Eisner Advertising & Design Museum occupied the lower floors. Elaine Eisner donated more than $1 million to establish the museum in a MIAD-owned building.
Starting in 1994, the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design filled the upper floors with student housing. The school ended its use of the facility in the spring of 2011. The school then switched to The Park at 1824 on the East Side, with students busing to campus. That arrangement ended in 2014 with the August opening of General Capital Group‘s Two50Two MIAD Student Apartments, which replaced the former 252 E. Menomonee St. building.
MIAD sold the building to Robert Joseph of Joseph Property Development in mid-2014. Joseph converted the building to 30 apartments on the top three floors, and two stories of office space on the first two floors. The conversion was completed by summer of 2014.
- “MIAD Opening East Side Student Housing” – Milwaukee Business Journal – Corrinne Hess – March 7th, 2011
ROW Excavation Utility.