Baldwin Blasts FDA Consultant For Pharma Ties
McKinsey & Company consulted for federal drug regulators and opioid manufacturers.
Companies like Purdue have been long under pressure for their role in seeding overdose crises across the nation. Purdue, which was once owned by the mega-wealthy Sackler family, gained notoriety for its Oxycotin products.
While some focus on the companies that make the drugs, others focus on how they have influenced regulation.
“While working for clients involved in manufacturing, distributing, and selling opioids, McKinsey simultaneously worked on projects for FDA, including projects for the FDA center responsible for approving new drugs,” the senators wrote to Christi Grimm, inspector general for the Department of Health and Human Services.
“Despite these reports,” the letter states, “FDA did not conduct any additional contract reviews or discuss with McKinsey conflicts of interest and the firm’s failure to disclose them in earlier contract applications. Furthermore, it is unclear whether the FDA has altered or improved its processes and procedures to prevent similar nondisclosure’s of conflicts of interest in future contracts.”
McKinsey has not yet returned a request for comment.
Baldwin and others blast consulting firm’s work with opioid industry was originally published by the Wisconsin Examiner.
- Senator Baldwin Calls on House to Pass Bill that Cracks Down on Fentanyl Traffickers - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Feb 15th, 2024
- Attorney General Josh Kaul announces $350 million settlement with marketing firm over its role in opioid epidemic - Wisconsin Department of Justice - Feb 1st, 2024
- Grants Will Fund Recovery Housing For Those Facing Homelessness and Battling Opioids - Margaret Faust - Jan 12th, 2024
- Baldwin Helps Advance Bipartisan Bill to Address Opioid and Fentanyl Crisis - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 14th, 2023
- DHS and DOJ Announce Dose of Reality Roundtable Discussions on Wisconsin’s Opioid Epidemic - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 6th, 2023
- Limited Supply of Narcan Prevents Milwaukee Groups From Saving Lives - Edgar Mendez - Dec 1st, 2023
- MUPD, Wisconsin Voices for Recovery partner to install Nalox-ZONE boxes on Marquette campus - Marquette University - Oct 12th, 2023
- MKE County: Drug Settlements Could Help Expand Opioid Addiction Programs - Graham Kilmer - Sep 21st, 2023
- DHS Awards Funding to Law Enforcement Agencies Working to Address the Opioid Epidemic - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Sep 21st, 2023
- Milwaukee County Announces Locations of 11 ‘Harm Reduction Vending Machines’ to Combat Death from Overdose - County Executive David Crowley - Aug 8th, 2023
Read more about Opioid Crisis here