Van Orden Complicit in January 6 Riot?
Republican running for 3rd District Congressional seat backed overthrow of legal election.
On the first anniversary of the January 6, 2021 assault on the U.S. Capitol it is critical to remember the condemnation from the U.S. military’s Joint Chiefs of Staff on January 12, 2021: “The violent riot in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021 was a direct assault on the U.S. Congress, the Capitol building, and our Constitutional process. We mourn the deaths of the two Capitol Policemen and others connected to these unprecedented events. … As Service Members, we must embody the values and ideals of the Nation. We support and defend the Constitution. Any act to disrupt the Constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values, and oath, it is against the law.”
About 140 Capitol police officers were injured by the mob using “flagpoles, bike racks and projectiles” (Washington Post). Some rioters had guns and crude bombs. More than 725 mob members have been arrested and charged, including six Wisconsinites. Many have pleaded guilty. However, Donald Trump’s attempt to prevent Joe Biden’s being confirmed as president nearly succeeded. Trump did nothing to stop the violence for hours, while watching the riot on TV. It’s likely he hoped members of Congress would be assaulted, perhaps even Vice President Mike Pence. All of this is a stunning refutation of the lies and perfidy of GOP Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, former state Supreme Court Justice Michael Gableman, GOP Senator Ron Johnson and 3rd congressional district (CD) GOP candidate Derrick Van Orden.
Van Orden, a former U.S. Navy SEAL, endorsed by Trump, is running for the open 3rd CD seat. He acts like a human flame-thrower, full of vitriol and character assassination. Opponents are disparaged as socialists. Van Orden is nothing like the decent capable legislators, including Democrat Al Baldus, Republican Steve Gunderson and Democrat Ron Kind, who have represented the 3rd CD in Congress. Worse, Van Orden improperly used campaign funds to travel to the January 6th insurrection “to stand for the integrity of our electoral system … .” Code for illegally overturning Trump’s presidential election loss and the will of most voters.
Voters should heed Admiral William McRaven, U.S. Navy (Ret.) who was in charge of the SEAL raid that killed Osama bin Laden. McRaven, also a SEAL, said: “Trump is actively working to undermine every major institution in this country. He has planted the seeds of doubt in the minds of many Americans that our institutions aren’t functioning properly.” McRaven also compared Trump to an “autocrat”.
Voters must reject a dangerous demagogue such as Van Orden to represent the 3rd CD.
This column was originally published by Wispolitics.com.
- Op Ed: Kaul Should Charge Ron Johnson, 10 Fake Electors - Matt Rothschild - Jan 8th, 2023
- WisDems Chair Ben Wikler Statement on the Anniversary of 1/6 - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 6th, 2023
- Congresswoman Gwen Moore Statement on Two-Year Anniversary of January 6th - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Jan 6th, 2023
- Wisconsin GOP Chair Expressed Concern About Fake Electors Plan, Then Joined In - Shawn Johnson - Dec 23rd, 2022
- Report Calls For Criminally Charging State’s Fake Electors - Henry Redman - Dec 19th, 2022
- Vos Sues Jan. 6 Committee - Shawn Johnson - Sep 26th, 2022
- Wisconsin’s Starring Role in Jan. 6 Insurrection - Ruth Conniff - Jun 9th, 2022
- Democrats File Suit Against State Republicans Who Posed As Electors - Shawn Johnson - May 17th, 2022
- Plover Man Charged in U.S. Capital Attack - Deneen Smith - May 14th, 2022
- Ron Johnson Attended Meeting To Oppose Election Certification - Henry Redman - Feb 5th, 2022
Read more about Chaos at the Capitol here