Elizabeth Warren Endorses Barnes for U.S. Senate
A high-profile endorsement in Democratic primary with nine candidates.
Barnes’ campaign announced the endorsement on Tuesday. It’s the first endorsement in the race from a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate. Warren finished third in Wisconsin’s presidential primary that year, behind President Joe Biden and U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders.
Johnson, the Republican incumbent, hasn’t announced yet if he plans to seek reelection.
“The Senate race in Wisconsin is crucial,” Warren said in the statement. “With Mandela Barnes fighting alongside me in the Senate, we have a real opportunity to build an economy that works for all of us, strengthen and protect our democracy, expand health care, and tackle the climate crisis head-on.”
In the same statement, Barnes said he is “honored” by the endorsement.
The lieutenant governor has also received the endorsement of Wisconsin U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore. No other current members of Wisconsin’s Congressional delegation have issued endorsements in the race.
Other announced Democratic candidates for the U.S. Senate seat include state Treasurer Sarah Godlewski, Outagamie County Executive Tom Nelson, Milwaukee Bucks executive Alex Lasry, Wausau physician Gillian Battino, former state Senate candidate Adam Murphy, Milwaukee Alder Chantia Lewis, state emergency management director Darrell Williams and Millenial Action Project founder Steven Olikara.
The partisan primaries for the seat will be held next August.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Elizabeth Warren Endorses Mandela Barnes In Wisconsin US Senate Race was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Bernie Sanders Endorses Barnes for US Senate - Rich Kremer - Jul 18th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: Will Senate Democratic Debate Change Race? - Bruce Murphy - Jul 18th, 2022
- Small Business Owners Grill Democratic Senate Candidates - Erik Gunn - Jun 28th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: Which Democrat Can Beat Ron Johnson? - Bruce Murphy - Jun 20th, 2022
- Op Ed: GOP Needs Alternative to Ron Johnson - David Irwin - Feb 9th, 2022
- Lasry, Godlewski Spend Heavily on Campaigns - Shawn Johnson - Feb 2nd, 2022
- Ron Johnson Dramatically Underperforms in First Finance Report Since Announcing for Reelection - Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes - Feb 1st, 2022
- Re-election Bid Just the Latest Lie From Ron Johnson - A Better Wisconsin Together - Jan 10th, 2022
- Alex Lasry Releases New Digital Ad Targeting Ron Johnson - Alex Lasry - Jan 10th, 2022
- Ron Johnson Explains Run For Reelection - Laurel White - Jan 9th, 2022
Read more about 2022 U.S. Senate Race here