Supervisor Pushes Vaccine Mandate
Ryan Clancy pushing County Executive Crowley to enact vaccine mandate for county workers.
A Milwaukee County Supervisor is pushing a COVID-19 vaccine requirement for all Milwaukee county employees.
Sup. Ryan Clancy has sponsored a resolution that calls on the County Executive to establish a policy that requires all county employees to show proof of vaccination.
On Monday, Mayor Tom Barrett announced a vaccine requirement for all city employees that goes into effect Sept. 1st. Employees will have until Oct. 29th to show proof of vaccination; after that, they can be suspended for 30 days, and potentially be fired if they still don’t show proof of vaccination.
Clancy’s resolution notes that the Delta variant has recently been driving up cases of COVID-19, and that the vaccines available are still effective against the new variants of the disease.
The resolution also points to major organizations in Milwaukee that have implemented some variation of a vaccine mandate, like Northwestern Mutual, which is requiring all employees and visitors coming to its offices to be vaccinated. It also mentions Summerfest’s new policy requiring proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to attend the festival this fall.
During a media briefing Monday, County Executive David Crowley said, “A vaccine mandate for Milwaukee County employees is not off the table.”
He said county officials began discussing potential vaccine mandates when the Delta variant began driving cases up more than a month ago.
The county has already approved vaccine incentives for employees and persons incarcerated in the Milwaukee County Jail or the House of Correction (HOC). It’s offering paid time off for employees that receive it, and cash for people in the jail or HOC that can be used in the canteen.
The state also recently announced it was offering $100 to anyone vaccinated between Aug. 23rd and Sept. 6th.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- State Sen. Jacque Released From Hospital - Megan Hart - Sep 21st, 2021
- City Offers $100 Vaccination Incentive - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 21st, 2021
- UW System returns to pre-pandemic levels of in-person instruction for Fall 2021 - University of Wisconsin System - Sep 21st, 2021
- Kleefisch Tests Positive for COVID-19 - Corri Hess - Sep 20th, 2021
- UW System Vaccination Rates Vary Widely - Rich Kremer - Sep 18th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Cases Still High in Milwaukee County - Graham Kilmer - Sep 17th, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department excusing inaction with insufficient data, right-wing talking points - Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association - Sep 16th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Delivers Radio Address on New Investments to Support Local COVID-19 Pandemic Response and Recovery - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 16th, 2021
- UWM reaches 70% vaccination rate goal, pushes for more - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Sep 16th, 2021
- Data Wonk: Biden Vaccine Plan Helps GOP Governors - Bruce Thompson - Sep 15th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here