Activist Steven Olikara Joins US Senate Race
He’s the ninth Democrat running for seat held by Republican Ron Johnson.
Johnson hasn’t yet said if he will seek reelection in 2022.
A Milwaukee-area native and University of Wisconsin-Madison graduate, Olikara announced his campaign at an event in Milwaukee at No Studios, an art studio and co-working space.
During his speech, Olikara said he would pursue bipartisan policy solutions in Washington.
“Wisconsin doesn’t have to be the symbol of trench warfare politics, we can be the symbol of inclusive and compassionate and honest politics — that’s within us,” he said.
He also spoke about his support for legislation that would combat climate change and gun violence and expand disability and voting rights under federal law.
“It’s the easiest thing in politics right now, to just say what you’re against and just demonize other people,” he said. “The more important path for us to is say what we’re for.”
Olikara, who is Indian American, is the first candidate of Asian descent to enter Wisconsin’s 2022 Democratic U.S. Senate primary.
Other announced Democratic candidates for the U.S. Senate seat include Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes, state Treasurer Sarah Godlewski, Outagamie County Executive Tom Nelson, Milwaukee Bucks executive Alex Lasry, Wausau physician Gillian Battino, former state Senate candidate Adam Murphy, Milwaukee alder Chantia Lewis and state emergency management director Darrell Williams.
The partisan primaries for the seat will be held next August.
Listen to the WPR link here.
Activist Steven Olikara Joins Wisconsin US Senate Race was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Bernie Sanders Endorses Barnes for US Senate - Rich Kremer - Jul 18th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: Will Senate Democratic Debate Change Race? - Bruce Murphy - Jul 18th, 2022
- Small Business Owners Grill Democratic Senate Candidates - Erik Gunn - Jun 28th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: Which Democrat Can Beat Ron Johnson? - Bruce Murphy - Jun 20th, 2022
- Op Ed: GOP Needs Alternative to Ron Johnson - David Irwin - Feb 9th, 2022
- Lasry, Godlewski Spend Heavily on Campaigns - Shawn Johnson - Feb 2nd, 2022
- Ron Johnson Dramatically Underperforms in First Finance Report Since Announcing for Reelection - Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes - Feb 1st, 2022
- Re-election Bid Just the Latest Lie From Ron Johnson - A Better Wisconsin Together - Jan 10th, 2022
- Alex Lasry Releases New Digital Ad Targeting Ron Johnson - Alex Lasry - Jan 10th, 2022
- Ron Johnson Explains Run For Reelection - Laurel White - Jan 9th, 2022
Read more about 2022 U.S. Senate Race here