Streetcar Returning To Full Schedule
The Hop to offer full service for first time since March 2020, welcome riders with "Hop Summer Nights."
The COVID-19 pandemic never stopped The Hop, but it did cause a substantial service reduction.
But starting Sunday, August 1, the system will again return to its pre-pandemic service levels.
The system will again operate from 5 a.m. to midnight Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to midnight on Saturday and 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Sunday. The reduced service schedule has had the system operating from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
Service frequency, a key driver in the usability of the 2.1-mile-long system, will also increase. Headways (time between trains) will return to 15 minutes during peak times and 20 minutes throughout the rest of the day.
The system has operated with two vehicles running simultaneously during the pandemic, resulting in a 20-minute headway. Private operator Transdev will reduce wait times by putting a third streetcar into service at select times.
The city is offering an incentive to get riders back on the free streetcar. “Hop Summer Nights” will take place every Sunday in August from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Riders will receive free “hopsicles” from Pete’s Pops and jazz from the Don Linke Trio. A selfie contest will also provide free gift cards.
For more project details, including the project timeline, financing, route and possible extensions, see our extensive past coverage.
- Transportation: Streetcar Study Draws Controversy - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 27th, 2021
- Transportation: Streetcar Returning To Full Schedule - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 26th, 2021
- Transportation: Southside Streetcar Study, Street Improvements Approved - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 20th, 2021
- Transportation: City Proposes Study of Streetcar to Walker’s Point - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 8th, 2021
- Transportation: First Streetcar Smart Kiosks Installed - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 3rd, 2021
- Plats and Parcels: Lakefront Streetcar Extension Scheduled for June 2022 Opening - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2020
- Transportation: Should Milwaukee Stop The Hop? - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 13th, 2020
- Transportation: The Hop Now Wears a Mask - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 18th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Is A Couture Deal Finally Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - May 13th, 2020
- Transportation: SUV Driver Runs Into The Hop - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 28th, 2020
Read more about Milwaukee Streetcar here