Milwaukee Public Museum Project Receives State Grant
$150,000 grant supports site clearing, environmental investigation.
The project to develop a new building for the Milwaukee Public Museum is receiving a state grant to help fund an early stage of development of the planned site.
On Thursday, the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) announced it was awarding a $150,000 grant to the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Milwaukee (RACM) to support site clearance and environmental site investigation.
In 2020, the museum announced plans to build a new 230,000 square foot facility at the northeast corner of W. McKinley Ave. and N. 6th St. The plan also calls for co-locating the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum on the property.
The entire project is estimated to cost $240 million. The facility itself will cost $190 million.
The new building is integral to the museum maintaining its collections and accreditation. The current building, at 800 W. Wells St., is in such poor condition that The Alliance of American Museums tabled the museum’s re-accreditation in February.
This is the latest development in the project, which the museum’s president and CEO Ellen Censky, says requires significant public buy-in to jumpstart a major capital-campaign soliciting millions in donations for the new facility.
Censky said the WEDC funding “begins the work of transforming that block into an innovative, world-class museum experience.”
“Each step toward our collocation has built excitement and strengthened our commitment to create the best museum campus we can for the community,” said Brian King, executive director of the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Milwaukee Public Museum Project Receives State Grant - Graham Kilmer - Jul 1st, 2021
- MKE County: State Funding Vital to Milwaukee Public Museum Accreditation - Graham Kilmer - Jun 21st, 2021
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Public Museum Seeking Environmental Cleanup Funds - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 15th, 2021
- Plats and Parcels: The Milwaukee Public Museum’s Big Week - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 28th, 2021
- Milwaukee Public Museum Applauds Governor Evers’ Proposed Funding of New Museum in Capital Budget - Milwaukee Public Museum - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Public Museum Selects Architects, Contractors for New Home - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 29th, 2021
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Public Museum Announces New Location Near Fiserv Forum - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 11th, 2020
- Milwaukee Public Museum Announces Site for Future Home - Milwaukee Public Museum - Sep 11th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Public Museum, Betty Brinn to Share New Facility - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 2nd, 2020
- Op Ed: Public Museum Hasn’t Moved Yet - Katie Sanders - Mar 11th, 2020
Read more about MPM and Betty Brinn Complex here