Milwaukee Public Museum Project Receives State Grant
$150,000 grant supports site clearing, environmental investigation.
The project to develop a new building for the Milwaukee Public Museum is receiving a state grant to help fund an early stage of development of the planned site.
On Thursday, the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) announced it was awarding a $150,000 grant to the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Milwaukee (RACM) to support site clearance and environmental site investigation.
In 2020, the museum announced plans to build a new 230,000 square foot facility at the northeast corner of W. McKinley Ave. and N. 6th St. The plan also calls for co-locating the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum on the property.
The entire project is estimated to cost $240 million. The facility itself will cost $190 million.
The new building is integral to the museum maintaining its collections and accreditation. The current building, at 800 W. Wells St., is in such poor condition that The Alliance of American Museums tabled the museum’s re-accreditation in February.
This is the latest development in the project, which the museum’s president and CEO Ellen Censky, says requires significant public buy-in to jumpstart a major capital-campaign soliciting millions in donations for the new facility.
Censky said the WEDC funding “begins the work of transforming that block into an innovative, world-class museum experience.”
“Each step toward our collocation has built excitement and strengthened our commitment to create the best museum campus we can for the community,” said Brian King, executive director of the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- New Public Museum Design Unveiled - Graham Kilmer - Jul 18th, 2022
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Demolition Starts For New Public Museum - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 7th, 2022
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Betty Brinn Pulls Out of New Museum Complex - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 8th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: About The Public Museum’s Name Change - Bruce Murphy - Mar 22nd, 2022
- MKE County: Crowley, Nicholson Sign Museum Deal - Graham Kilmer - Mar 21st, 2022
- MKE County: Board Okays $45 Million for New Museum - Graham Kilmer - Mar 15th, 2022
- MKE County: Will Museum Drop ‘Public’ From Name? - Graham Kilmer - Mar 14th, 2022
- MKE County: County Would Hike Property Taxes for Museum - Graham Kilmer - Mar 14th, 2022
- Public Museum Needs $45 Million From County - Graham Kilmer - Dec 2nd, 2021
- Milwaukee Public Museum Project Receives State Grant - Graham Kilmer - Jul 1st, 2021
Read more about MPM and Betty Brinn Complex here