Milwaukee Public Museum Project Receives State Grant
$150,000 grant supports site clearing, environmental investigation.
The project to develop a new building for the Milwaukee Public Museum is receiving a state grant to help fund an early stage of development of the planned site.
On Thursday, the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) announced it was awarding a $150,000 grant to the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Milwaukee (RACM) to support site clearance and environmental site investigation.
In 2020, the museum announced plans to build a new 230,000 square foot facility at the northeast corner of W. McKinley Ave. and N. 6th St. The plan also calls for co-locating the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum on the property.
The entire project is estimated to cost $240 million. The facility itself will cost $190 million.
The new building is integral to the museum maintaining its collections and accreditation. The current building, at 800 W. Wells St., is in such poor condition that The Alliance of American Museums tabled the museum’s re-accreditation in February.
This is the latest development in the project, which the museum’s president and CEO Ellen Censky, says requires significant public buy-in to jumpstart a major capital-campaign soliciting millions in donations for the new facility.
Censky said the WEDC funding “begins the work of transforming that block into an innovative, world-class museum experience.”
“Each step toward our collocation has built excitement and strengthened our commitment to create the best museum campus we can for the community,” said Brian King, executive director of the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits.
- Eyes on Milwaukee: After $15-Per-Hour Pledge, Museum Gets Zoning Change - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 31st, 2023
- Council Members Want Better Pay For Museum Food Service Workers - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 27th, 2023
- Public Museum Releases Details for new Rainforest Gallery, Butterfly Vivarium - Graham Kilmer - May 23rd, 2023
- New Museum Gallery An Immersive Milwaukee Streetscape - Graham Kilmer - Apr 14th, 2023
- Museum Unveils Future Exhibit All About Wisconsin - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2023
- MKE County: Museum Unveils Details of First New Exhibit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 7th, 2023
- MPM Announces Permanent Exhibits at New Museum - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2023
- Museum Won’t Preserve ‘Streets of Old Milwaukee’ - Graham Kilmer - Jan 10th, 2023
- Public Museum Picks Firms to Oversee New Museum’s Construction - Graham Kilmer - Nov 30th, 2022
- Public Museum Will Host Town Hall About Proposed New Home - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 9th, 2022
Read more about New Natural History Museum here