Court Kills Another Evers Pandemic Order
4-3 State Supreme Court ruling overthrows October order limiting restaurant and bar capacity.
The Wisconsin Supreme Court further whittled away state government’s public health emergency powers Wednesday, ruling Gov. Tony Evers‘ administration overstepped its authority last year when it tried to restrict bar and restaurant capacity to slow the spread of COVID-19.
It is the third time the court has ruled against the Evers administration’s efforts to address the coronavirus pandemic and the second time in just the past month.
While Palm’s order was far more limited than the “Safer at Home” order the state Supreme Court struck down in May, it relied on the same set of laws. In its 4-3 ruling handed down Wednesday, the court’s conservative majority said that meant the order needed to be advanced as an “emergency rule,” meaning it needed the Legislature’s approval.
Conservative swing Justice Brian Hagedorn sided with the Evers administration when the court struck down “Safer at Home,” but he ruled against the administration this time. Hagedorn wrote a concurring opinion siding with the court’s majority Wednesday.
“Some details have changed, but this case arises because Palm issued another order doing exactly what this court said she may not do: limit public gatherings by statewide order without promulgating a rule,” Hagedorn wrote. “Respect for this court and its authority compels me to stand by that decision today.”
The court’s liberals dissented, led by Justice Ann Walsh Bradley.
“At a time when public health experts are imploring pandemic-weary Wisconsinites to stay vigilant, a faulty statutory analysis once again leads this court to undermine public health measures,” she wrote.
While the majority’s ruling Wednesday was relatively straightforward, this case took a circuitous path on its way to the state Supreme Court.
The Evers administration’s order took effect Oct. 8 and was originally scheduled to end Nov. 6.
The first judge to hear the case, Sawyer County Judge John Yackel, sided with the Tavern League almost immediately after the lawsuit was filed, issuing a temporary restraining order Oct. 14 that blocked the limits on crowd capacity.
The Tavern League did not appeal that ruling, but a new group of plaintiffs did. They included The Mix Up, Inc., a bar and grill in Amery, northwest of Eau Claire, as well as Liz Sieben, the business’ owner. They also include the group Pro-Life Wisconsin and its president, Daniel Miller.
The attorney for The Mix Up, Inc., Misha Tseytlin, is a former Wisconsin solicitor general who served in the state Department of Justice under former Attorney General Brad Schimel. As a private attorney, Tseytlin has worked extensively for GOP lawmakers on a wide array of high-profile cases.
While the capacity restrictions were effectively moot by the time the Wisconsin Supreme Court issued its decision, the ruling could have implications for future public health orders.
Beyond that, the court’s makeup had changed since it ruled on “Safer at Home.” A 5-2 conservative majority has been trimmed to 4-3, putting the spotlight on Hagedorn.
But on Wednesday, Hagedorn said that while his objections to the court’s legal analysis were “no secret,” he was legally compelled to stand by the court’s previous ruling.
“Creative efforts to engineer a different result from an indistinguishable set of facts would, in my view, be a departure from basic principles of judicial decision-making,” Hagedorn wrote.
The trio of rulings from the court don’t technically prohibit the state from issuing future orders dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic, but they all have one thing in common: They require the Legislature to be involved.
That’s unlikely to happen given the current makeup of state government, where Evers, a Democrat, and GOP lawmakers have grown increasingly far apart in their views of how to the pandemic.
For A Third Time, Wisconsin Supreme Court Rules Against Evers Administration’s COVID-19 Order was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- MHD Release: Milwaukee Health Department Launches COVID-19 Wastewater Testing Dashboard - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jan 23rd, 2024
- Milwaukee County Announces New Policies Related to COVID-19 Pandemic - County Executive David Crowley - May 9th, 2023
- DHS Details End of Emergency COVID-19 Response - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 26th, 2023
- Milwaukee Health Department Announces Upcoming Changes to COVID-19 Services - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Mar 17th, 2023
- Fitzgerald Applauds Passage of COVID-19 Origin Act - U.S. Rep. Scott Fitzgerald - Mar 10th, 2023
- DHS Expands Free COVID-19 Testing Program - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 10th, 2023
- MKE County: COVID-19 Hospitalizations Rising - Graham Kilmer - Jan 16th, 2023
- Not Enough Getting Bivalent Booster Shots, State Health Officials Warn - Gaby Vinick - Dec 26th, 2022
- Nearly All Wisconsinites Age 6 Months and Older Now Eligible for Updated COVID-19 Vaccine - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 15th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Bi-Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Dec 9th, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here