Trump Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Overturn Wisconsin’s Election
Trump campaign petitions court to take up suit challenging state's election results
President Donald Trump’s campaign isn’t done trying to overturn the 2020 election.
The suit takes aim at more than 50,000 absentee ballots in Milwaukee and Dane counties — the state’s most populous counties whose votes largely went to President-elect Joe Biden. The remedy sought by the suit is to have the state Legislature choose the electors for the presidential election.
In their rejection they stated the Trump campaign failed to meet the test of the Laches Doctrine, which requires that a plaintiff does not unreasonably delay a claim. Trump’s suit failed in this respect because he did not file suit when the same laws and practices were in effect when he won the presidency in 2016.
Trump’s campaign argues in their petition to the Supreme Court that if the state Supreme Court’s decision is not overturned, “it will have a profound chilling effect, nationwide, as all future candidates will feel it necessary to continuously monitor all election officials in all competitive jurisdictions.” And, “Candidates will feel it necessary to launch preemptive litigation against possible abuses, for fear that if they wait to bring suit after an election, when they know whether concrete harm has occurred, courts will invoke the doctrine of laches to tell them they waited too long.”
Read the motion for expedited consideration of the petition here.
- Data Wonk: New Voters Won the 2020 Election - Bruce Thompson - Jan 20th, 2021
- GOP State Legislators Asked Pence to Not Certify Election - Melanie Conklin - Jan 14th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Condemns Republican Legislators’ Lies and Dangerous Rhetoric - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Jan 14th, 2021
- Tiffany, Fitzgerald Object To Some Biden Electors - Shawn Johnson - Jan 7th, 2021
- Sen. Baldwin: “It’s Disgraceful” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep Moore Blames Trump for Today’s Chaos - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Rep. Gallagher: “We are witnessing absolute banana republic crap in the United States Capitol right now” - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 6th, 2021
- Back in the News: Cleta Mitchell Resigns from Foley Firm - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
- Gallagher Assails GOP Push to Nullify Election - Rob Mentzer - Jan 5th, 2021
- Back in the News: Foley Firm Faces Blowback on Trump Call - Bruce Murphy - Jan 5th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Federal Judge Tears Apart Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Hagedorn Wisconsin’s Person of The Year - John Torinus - Dec 30th, 2020
- Trump Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Overturn Wisconsin’s Election - Graham Kilmer - Dec 29th, 2020
- Trump campaign: Takes Wisconsin constitutional fight to Supreme Court - Donald Trump - Dec 29th, 2020
- Wisconsin Republicans Join New Federal Election Lawsuit - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 23rd, 2020
- Justices Face Anti-Semitic, Misogynist Attacks After Trump Ruling - Ruth Conniff - Dec 18th, 2020
- Ron Johnson Parrots Trump’s Rejected Legal Arguments - Shawn Johnson - Dec 17th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Why Republicans Won’t End Election Complaints - Bruce Murphy - Dec 14th, 2020
- Statement of Republican Electors Meeting - Republican Party of Wisconsin - Dec 14th, 2020
- AG Kaul Issues Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Ruling on the Challenge to Wisconsin’s Election Results - Josh Kaul - Dec 14th, 2020
Read more about Trump's Election Lawsuits here