Trump Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Overturn Wisconsin’s Election
Trump campaign petitions court to take up suit challenging state's election results
President Donald Trump’s campaign isn’t done trying to overturn the 2020 election.
The suit takes aim at more than 50,000 absentee ballots in Milwaukee and Dane counties — the state’s most populous counties whose votes largely went to President-elect Joe Biden. The remedy sought by the suit is to have the state Legislature choose the electors for the presidential election.
In their rejection they stated the Trump campaign failed to meet the test of the Laches Doctrine, which requires that a plaintiff does not unreasonably delay a claim. Trump’s suit failed in this respect because he did not file suit when the same laws and practices were in effect when he won the presidency in 2016.
Trump’s campaign argues in their petition to the Supreme Court that if the state Supreme Court’s decision is not overturned, “it will have a profound chilling effect, nationwide, as all future candidates will feel it necessary to continuously monitor all election officials in all competitive jurisdictions.” And, “Candidates will feel it necessary to launch preemptive litigation against possible abuses, for fear that if they wait to bring suit after an election, when they know whether concrete harm has occurred, courts will invoke the doctrine of laches to tell them they waited too long.”
Read the motion for expedited consideration of the petition here.
- Judge Lifts Contempt Order for Speaker Vos - Rich Kremer - Jun 24th, 2022
- Gableman’s Office Held in Contempt of Court - Madeline Fox - Jun 10th, 2022
- Murphy’s Law: The Bradley Foundation’s Election Deniers - Bruce Murphy - Jun 7th, 2022
- The State of Politics: ‘Telling The Truth’ Led to Knudson Resignation - Steven Walters - Jun 6th, 2022
- Gableman Election Review $220,500 Over Budget - Henry Redman - Jun 2nd, 2022
- Another Judge Rejects Challenge to 2020 Election Grants - Shawn Johnson - Jun 1st, 2022
- Gathering To Spread the Big Lie - Henry Redman - May 25th, 2022
- Judge May Fine Vos in Gableman Open Records Case - Shawn Johnson - May 20th, 2022
- Democrats File Suit Against State Republicans Who Posed As Electors - Shawn Johnson - May 17th, 2022
- Gableman Review Paused, But His Pay Continues - Henry Redman - May 12th, 2022
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- Op Ed: Hold Wisconsin’s Fraudulent Electors Accountable - Jeffrey Mandell - Jan 6th, 2022
- Data Wonk: How Fox Spread Lies About State’s Election - Bruce Thompson - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Data Wonk: High Court Minority Embarrasses Itself - Bruce Thompson - Feb 24th, 2021
- Supreme Court Denies Trump’s Wisconsin Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Data Wonk: With Donald Trump It’s Never Over - Bruce Thompson - Feb 17th, 2021
- Federal Judge Tears Apart Election Lawsuit - Graham Kilmer - Jan 4th, 2021
- Op Ed: Hagedorn Wisconsin’s Person of The Year - John Torinus - Dec 30th, 2020
Read more about Trump's Election Lawsuits here