Lawsuit Challenges Evers Mask Mandate
Conservative Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty challenges governor's emergency health order.
Governor Tony Evers’ mask mandate is headed to court, albeit indirectly.
The conservative-leaning Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty (WILL) has filed a lawsuit in Polk County Circuit Court on behalf of three residents challenging an emergency health declaration made by Evers on July 30th.
WILL, through president and general counsel Rick Esenberg, said its suit is not about COVID-19 or masks. “This lawsuit is not about whether masks are good or bad, or whether Wisconsin ought to do more, or less, to address COVID-19. It isn’t even about whether the state should have a mask mandate,” said Esenberg. “This lawsuit is about our system of government and the rule of law. Governor Evers cannot seize these time-limited emergency powers more than once without legislative approval.”
A May 13th ruling from the Wisconsin Supreme Court did not impact Evers’ emergency powers. It was issued on May 13th, the day after Evers’ order expired. The court’s ruling took issue with the rulemaking powers of Secretary of the Department of Health Services.
Should WILL’s suit make it to the Supreme Court, it will find a different court than the one that ruled 4-3 to overturn the “Safer at Home” extension. Evers waited until July 30th to issue his new order, two days before Jill Karofsky took her seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, replacing Scott Walker-appointee Daniel Kelly who voted in the majority in May.
In a press release, WILL argued its case is simple. “To interpret the law otherwise, would allow one-person rule by the Governor for what could be a virtually unlimited amount of time whenever the vague statutory definition of a ‘public health emergency’ or ‘disaster’ can be said to be present. The result would be the total breakdown of our constitutional order.”
WILL operates from the 330 Kilbourn office complex in downtown Milwaukee, was formerly housed in the Bloodgood House owned by The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, and has been a recipient of considerable funding from the conservative foundation.
Evers’ office did not respond to a request for comment by the time of publication.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- MKE County: County Puts $10.5 Million in Small Business, Employment - Graham Kilmer - Sep 18th, 2020
- Op Ed: Legal Group WILL Opposes Pandemic - Will Flanders, Don Daugherty and Rick Esenberg - Sep 18th, 2020
- School Plans Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Sep 18th, 2020
- WI Daily: 2,533 Cases, 25% Jump To New Record - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 18th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Asks for Resignation of Workforce Development Secretary - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 18th, 2020
- COVID-19 Increasing in Milwaukee County, Again - Graham Kilmer - Sep 18th, 2020
- Utility Disconnection Moratorium Extended to November - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 18th, 2020
- Ron Johnson Quarantining After COVID-19 Exposure - Ruth Conniff - Sep 18th, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4.1 Order Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Sep 18th, 2020
- WI Daily: Over 2,000 New Cases For The First Time - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 17th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Evers Wants to Extend Mask Mandate - Erik Gunn - Sep 16th, 2020
- Evers Might Extend Mask Order - Shawn Johnson - Sep 10th, 2020
- The Battle Over Face Masks - Will Cushman - Sep 7th, 2020
- Governor Evers and State Public Health Officials Encourages Residents to Wear a Mask and Limit Exposure Ahead of Labor Day Weekend - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Sep 4th, 2020
- The State of Politics: WILL Judge Shops To Kill Mask Mandate - Steven Walters - Aug 31st, 2020
- Lawsuit Challenges Evers Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 25th, 2020
- WILL Sues Governor Evers Over Second COVID-19 Emergency Declaration - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Aug 25th, 2020
- Op Ed: Wear a Mask, Boost the Economy - James Rowen - Aug 24th, 2020
- Mask Mandate Applies to Trump Events - Shawn Johnson - Aug 14th, 2020
- GOP Hasn’t Interfered With Mask Mandate - Shawn Johnson - Aug 13th, 2020
Read more about Statewide Mask Mandate here