Congressional Republicans Fail Wisconsin
Democrats passed second pandemic relief bill in May. State’s GOP members continue to delay.
Back in May the Democratic-led House anticipated that the toll from COVID-19 and its economic consequences would continue to be devastating. The House passed relief and recovery legislation, largely along party lines. The $3 trillion bill would help state, local and tribal governments facing huge holes in their budgets; fund more COVID-19 testing and contact tracing; hazard pay for first responders and essential workers; extension of unemployment benefits; aid to education and help with housing problems. Wisconsin Democratic Representatives Ron Kind, Gwen Moore and Mark Pocan voted yes. However, Wisconsin GOP Representatives Mike Gallagher, Glenn Grothman, Jim Sensenbrenner and Bryan Steil shamefully voted no (Tom Tiffany was not yet sworn in).
The legislation would help Wisconsin avoid draconian budget and service cuts. The Wisconsin Budget Project said the bill would: “Allocate $8.5 billion to the state and $7.5 billion to local governments … provide an additional $1.9 billion in Medicaid dollars … (and) $1.4 billion for education … .” But the irresponsible GOP-led Senate refused to consider the House bill. In the middle of a pandemic Republicans played the fiddle while everything burned down. Wisconsin GOP Senator Ron Johnson, unlike Democratic Senator Tammy Baldwin, had excuses when urgent action was needed. Finally, last week Senate Republicans bestirred themselves, but failed to pass anything. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said: “Hopefully, we can come together behind some package we can agree on in the next few weeks.”
Meanwhile the COVID-19 pandemic worsens. More than 4 million cases nationally, approaching 50,000 in Wisconsin. U.S. deaths are about 150,000 with around 900 in Wisconsin. However, Trump insists COVID-19 will “disappear”. He said: “A lot of the country is – has no problem whatsoever – most of the country actually.” On par with his home remedy of ingesting disinfectant. However, even Donald Trump knows he is in political trouble. Too many getting sick or dying and a faltering economy. Moreover, polling shows Biden leading nationally, including Florida.
So Trump canceled his coronation convention in Florida. Too many ambulance sirens. And, Trump has brought back his daily COVID-19 (reelection) briefing, sans Dr. Anthony Fauci. Moreover, to distract from the COVID-19 health and economic carnage, Trump sent “federal agents in military-style camouflage to Portland, Oregon” (Washington Post). He is also threatening Milwaukee. None of that can obscure that Trump and state congressional Republicans have failed Wisconsin miserably.
This column was originally published by Wispolitics.com
Bill Kaplan wrote a guest column from Washington, D.C. for the Wisconsin State Journal from 1995 – 2009.
- Evers Says Schools May Need Summer Classes - Shawn Johnson - Mar 3rd, 2021
- City Hires Private Firm To Track COVID-19 Violations - Graham Kilmer - Mar 3rd, 2021
- Racine Prison Quarantines Entire Housing Unit - Isiah Holmes - Mar 3rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 324 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 2nd, 2021
- 34 Vaccine Doses Spoil at Wisconsin Center - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 2nd, 2021
- 8.7% of State Now Fully Vaccinated - Graham Kilmer - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Statement from the Milwaukee Health Department - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Select Kroger Stores Take Part in Federal Retail Pharmacy Program - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Marquette Plans In-Person Classes in Fall - Graham Kilmer - Mar 2nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 308 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 1st, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here