Dimitrijevic Introduces Mask Mandate
Mayor Barrett and council President Johnson endorse a city-wide mandate.
Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic, chair of the Common Council’s Public Safety & Health Committee, has introduced a proposal that would require the wearing of masks in public spaces in the city of Milwaukee.
The proposal will first be heard at a July 2nd meeting of the Public Safety & Health Committee.
“The science on face coverings is clear, as they help stop the spread of COVID-19 and save lives. When you wear a face mask during this pandemic, you are demonstrating care for our community. The fastest way to reopen our economy safely and return to a new normal is by covering your mouth and nose in public,” said the alderwoman.
Dimitrijevic, first elected in April, told Urban Milwaukee she had been working since last week on her proposal. A group of more than 75 businesses sent a letter to Mayor Tom Barrett and Common Council President Cavalier Johnson calling for a mandate to be instituted on Tuesday morning.
Barrett said he was open to the idea on Tuesday afternoon, and said he thought in order for a mandate to withstand legal challenge it needed to originate within the Common Council.
Johnson endorsed the idea of a mandate in a text message to Urban Milwaukee on Monday night.
Wisconsin is one of four states that does not have any state or local mask regulations according to Masks4All.
A draft file, pending in the city’s Legistar legislative management system, does not contain details on exceptions or requirements. The file is dated May 27th and was introduced June 29th.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
Related Legislation: File 200344
- WI Daily: 464 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 28th, 2021
- WI Daily: 689 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 27th, 2021
- HDA Statement on FDA Authorization of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine - Healthcare Distribution Alliance - Feb 27th, 2021
- Gallagher Statement on Pelosi’s Payout - U.S. Rep Mike Gallagher - Feb 27th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Declining to Summer Levels - Graham Kilmer - Feb 26th, 2021
- State Launches Vaccine Provider Map - Graham Kilmer - Feb 26th, 2021
- WI Daily: 656 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 26th, 2021
- Supervisor Martin Calls on State Officials to Prioritize District 7 in Vaccination Effort - Sup. Felesia Martin - Feb 26th, 2021
- WI Daily: 840 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 25th, 2021
- Evers Signs Bill on Unemployment System - Laurel White - Feb 25th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here