Dimitrijevic Introduces Mask Mandate
Mayor Barrett and council President Johnson endorse a city-wide mandate.
Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic, chair of the Common Council’s Public Safety & Health Committee, has introduced a proposal that would require the wearing of masks in public spaces in the city of Milwaukee.
The proposal will first be heard at a July 2nd meeting of the Public Safety & Health Committee.
“The science on face coverings is clear, as they help stop the spread of COVID-19 and save lives. When you wear a face mask during this pandemic, you are demonstrating care for our community. The fastest way to reopen our economy safely and return to a new normal is by covering your mouth and nose in public,” said the alderwoman.
Dimitrijevic, first elected in April, told Urban Milwaukee she had been working since last week on her proposal. A group of more than 75 businesses sent a letter to Mayor Tom Barrett and Common Council President Cavalier Johnson calling for a mandate to be instituted on Tuesday morning.
Barrett said he was open to the idea on Tuesday afternoon, and said he thought in order for a mandate to withstand legal challenge it needed to originate within the Common Council.
Johnson endorsed the idea of a mandate in a text message to Urban Milwaukee on Monday night.
Wisconsin is one of four states that does not have any state or local mask regulations according to Masks4All.
A draft file, pending in the city’s Legistar legislative management system, does not contain details on exceptions or requirements. The file is dated May 27th and was introduced June 29th.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
Related Legislation: File 200344
- Unemployment Claims Continue At Unprecedented Rate - Graham Kilmer - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces Successful Roll Out of Online COVID-19 Test Registration at National Guard Testing Sites - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Assembly GOP Pitches Unemployment Loans - Erik Gunn - Jul 9th, 2020
- Baldwin, Colleagues Call for $32B in Transit Funding in Next COVID-19 Stimulus Package - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jul 9th, 2020
- Data Wonk: The War Against Masks - Bruce Thompson - Jul 8th, 2020
- WI Daily: 20 Days of Climbing COVID-19 Positive Case Rate - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 8th, 2020
- Evers Won’t Issue New Shutdown Order - Erik Gunn - Jul 8th, 2020
- City Hall: Milwaukee Mask Mandate Scaled Back - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 8th, 2020
- MKE County: Bus Passengers May Face Mask Mandate - Graham Kilmer - Jul 8th, 2020
- Pocan: “American & United Airlines are Throwing Taxpayers Under the Proverbial Airbus” - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Jul 8th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here