Harambee Area Gets Breonna Taylor Mural
Two artists that worked on the George Floyd mural painted this one on Locust and Holton.
Another mural has gone up on N. Holton Street memorializing a victim of a police killing.
At the corner of E. Locust Avenue and N. Holton Street, in the Harambee neighborhood, a mural of Breonna Taylor was painted Tuesday. It was created by two of the artists that worked on the mural of George Floyd, painted June 4th.
Breonna Taylor was killed in March by police officers in Louisville, an incident has been frequently cited as a key example of injustice by those protesting the death of Floyd.
Chris Burke, a tattoo artist from Ghost Light Tattoo Parlor, told Urban Milwaukee it was an honor to paint Taylor’s mural. Burke called Taylor a “true American hero” who deserves to “be celebrated, that should be on walls.”
The mural is on another building owned by Ihsan Atta, who offered his building to local artists for a George Floyd mural. He told Urban Milwaukee last week that he wanted the Floyd mural to be a conversation starter and a way to build community. “People need to educate themselves and need to get out of their comfort zone and become friends or befriend people of color,” he said.
Ruben Alcantar, owner of Black Rabbit Tattoo in Bay View, worked on the Dontre Hamilton portrait on the George Floyd mural. He said that piece generated a significant community response. “People coming by honking, coming up giving us hugs.”
This is the second memorial in less than a week these artists have worked on. Burke said tattoo artists are used to working on emotional subjects, “we all the time are tattooing memorials on people.”
And there could be more tributes to Breonna Taylor to come.
“Honestly, until she gets justice, until they put the people who killed her away,” Burke said, “we’re gonna paint her everywhere.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Experts Say Legal System Impedes Police Reform - Margo Kirchner - Jul 7th, 2020
- Officer Accused of Assaulting Protester - Corri Hess - Jul 6th, 2020
- Plenty of Horne: Quadracci Sets Off Employee Rebellion - Michael Horne - Jul 6th, 2020
- Will MPS End Truancy Program? - Sam Woods - Jul 6th, 2020
- Butler Outspends Milwaukee on Per Capita Policing - Henry Redman - Jul 6th, 2020
- Protesters Call for Justice for Vanessa Guillen - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Group Repainting Defund Mural, MPD Watches - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Protest Day 37: Marches, Celebrations, Calls For Justice - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Rep. Brostoff’s Livestream From Tonight’s March - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Florists For Social Justice at Sherman Phoenix - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
Read more about George Floyd Protests here