Police, Mayor, Hospital Workers March to Sherman Park
March is markedly different from larger marches that have circled city.
Organized by the hospital’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. O’Rell Williams and City Attorney Tearman Spencer, the group consisted of Mayor Tom Barrett, Congresswoman Gwen Moore, members and rabbis from the nearby Congregation Beth Jehudah synagogue, community supporters and hospital employees, many of which wore their scrubs.
The short march was one of dozens that have taken place across the Milwaukee area in response to the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer and other police-related deaths.
But unlike the larger marches through the city, this march was held solely on the sidewalk and featured no chanting. Instead speeches were held at the start and end, many of which thanked the police officers in attendance for their support and called for action on racial injustice.
Williams and Moore said the police and community needed to find a way to de-escalate the situation and move the community forward.
“We are here because we know there is a severe problem within our community,” said hospital chief administrative officer Kevin Kluesner. “This isn’t just a walk in the park. This is a step in a whole new journey.”
The Milwaukee Fire Department‘s Deputy Chief of Emergency Medical Services Joshua Parish made those over 40 raise their hands and informed them that they needed to accept things would be uncomfortable, but that younger people would lead the necessary change.
Photos from the March
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Group Repainting Defund Mural, MPD Watches - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Protest Day 37: Marches, Celebrations, Calls For Justice - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Rep. Brostoff’s Livestream From Tonight’s March - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Florists For Social Justice at Sherman Phoenix - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- This Weekends Protests Against Police Brutality - Graham Kilmer - Jul 3rd, 2020
- “Defund The Police” Becomes “Defend The Police” - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Protesters Enter the Cheesecake Factory at Mayfair - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 2nd, 2020
- City Hall: Should Police Report Every Time They Draw Weapon? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Giannis Protest Mural Planned for Bay View Bar - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Tosa PD Getting New Body Cameras - Isiah Holmes - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about George Floyd Protests here