Sup. Ryan Clancy Arrested During Protest
County Supervisor is one of at least five people taken into custody at the Milwaukee-Shorewood border.
Government employees, social service workers and members of the press are exempt from the city’s curfew order.
Clancy pleaded with officers to be released before being put in a wagon at approximately 10:50 p.m.
The arrests happened near the intersection of N. Oakland Ave. and E. Edgewood Ave. on the Milwaukee-Shorewood border.
A protest vehicle caravan was stopped at the intersection with dozens of cars waiting to turn east on Edgewood.
A few protesters left their vehicles and threw traffic cones, beer cans and a brick at an empty Brown Deer Police SUV. The vehicle was dented, but Shorewood Police on the scene did not immediately react. Shortly thereafter the vehicles drove away, leaving a group of several dozen people, many of whom were area residents.
A large contingent of law enforcement arrived, including state police, MPD officers and suburban officers. No Wisconsin National Guard members were spotted at the scene, but state police members wore military-style uniforms. Most MPD officers at the scene were dressed in riot gear.
Clancy was arrested as well as several other people. Urban Milwaukee witnessed at least five individuals getting placed into police vehicles.
Clancy was not told what he was being charged with and officers in riot gear debated the matter after putting him in a wagon.
The county supervisor, first elected in April, owns Bounce Milwaukee in Bay View. He was spotted at the Saturday march serving as an American Civil Liberties Union observer with a vest on. Clancy holds a master’s degree in negotiation, conflict resolution and peacebuilding from California State University.
Want more? Click to open my Twitter thread covering everything I saw on the ground Sunday night.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Group Repainting Defund Mural, MPD Watches - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Protest Day 37: Marches, Celebrations, Calls For Justice - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Rep. Brostoff’s Livestream From Tonight’s March - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Florists For Social Justice at Sherman Phoenix - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- This Weekends Protests Against Police Brutality - Graham Kilmer - Jul 3rd, 2020
- “Defund The Police” Becomes “Defend The Police” - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Protesters Enter the Cheesecake Factory at Mayfair - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 2nd, 2020
- City Hall: Should Police Report Every Time They Draw Weapon? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Giannis Protest Mural Planned for Bay View Bar - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Tosa PD Getting New Body Cameras - Isiah Holmes - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about George Floyd Protests here