Walker Says Wisconsin Should Reopen
Ex-governor tells far-right Breitbart News he’s concerned about citizens’ civil liberties.
Democratic Gov. Tony Evers defeated Walker in the 2018 election. But, more than a thousand people protested in Madison Friday over the Evers administration’s extension of a stay-at-home order aimed at preventing the spread of the new coronavirus.
Walker told the site he’s concerned about the new coronavirus, but he’s equally worried about the economy. He said he’s also concerned about local and state officials intruding on people’s civil liberties.
Although, he said people should be keeping a safe distance and wearing masks if they’re taking part in rallies, noting disregard for safety would likely lead officials “to keep us locked in longer.”
When asked whether the extension was a political move, Walker said, “I don’t know if it’s political as much as he doesn’t know what to do.”
A spokesperson for Gov. Evers didn’t respond to a request for comment Sunday.
The former governor said the state should be making decisions based on the data, calling a recent surge in cases in Green Bay an anomaly. Walker also said state leaders could do a better job explaining steps that are being taken to curb the spread of COVID-19 and get the economy back on track.
Evers laid out the “Badger Bounce Back” plan for reopening the state economy in the last week, which would reopen businesses in several phases. The Democratic governor has said the state would need to see a 14-day decrease in new infections and positive tests before allowing restaurants, schools and child care centers to reopen with social distancing requirements.
Evers has said he hopes the state can reopen some businesses before the end of the safer-at-home extension, which runs through May 26.
Report: Former Gov. Scott Walker Says Wisconsin Should Reopen was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- DHS and Laboratory Partners Identify Variant Strain B.1.351 of SARS-CoV-2 in Wisconsin - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 5th, 2021
- State Vaccine Hotline Up and Running - Graham Kilmer - Mar 5th, 2021
- County Targeting Vulnerable ZIP Codes for Vaccine - Graham Kilmer - Mar 5th, 2021
- Ron Johnson Pushes Conspiracies Ahead of Possible Third Term - Shawn Johnson - Mar 5th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, DHS Announce 1 Million Wisconsinites Have Received at Least One Dose of the COVID-19 Vaccine - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 5th, 2021
- Evers Proposes COVID-19 Child Care Aid - Laurel White - Mar 4th, 2021
- WI Daily: 677 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 4th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 No Longer Declining in Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Mar 4th, 2021
- Gov. Evers to Visit DHS Community-Based Vaccination Clinic in La Crosse County on Opening Day - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 4th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine Assistance Hotline Now Available - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 4th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here