New Data Shows Steady COVID-19 Growth, Nine More Confirmed Deaths
Number of people tested, percentage testing positive and other figures remain consistent throughout April.
The number of COVID-19 tests processed every day in Wisconsin continues to be nearly flat.
Data from daily Wisconsin Department of Health Services outbreak updates indicates that Wisconsin labs have processed a combined average of 1,629 tests per day in April. That includes 1,508 tests reported over the last 24 hours according to figures released Sunday afternoon.
State officials have asked for physicians to order more tests as testing capacity has grown, reaching a capacity of over 7,500 potential tests per day on Thursday. But the number of tests processed in a day has never been higher than 2,242 since April 1st. “Consistent with the national guidelines, clinicians can test anyone that would benefit from knowing,” said Dr. Ryan Westergaard, Chief Medical Officer at the DHS Bureau of Communicable Diseases, on April 6th. He’s reiterated in multiple press briefings since that the testing capacity continues to allow for more suspected cases to be tested.
The number of people testing positive also remains flat, with an average of 158 new cases per day in April and 147 new cases reported Sunday. A total of 4,346 people have tested positive since the outbreak started, but the number undercounts those that had mild symptoms and were never tested.
The death toll from the disease continues to grow, reaching 220 on Sunday. An additional nine deaths were confirmed in the past 24 hours, but the individuals could have passed away prior.
The outbreak continues to be centered around Milwaukee and particularly the city’s African American community. Statewide, 36 percent of those that died have been black, while only 6.7 percent of Wisconsin residents are black. A total of 2,150 Milwaukee County residents have tested positive for the disease and state figures report that 125 people have perished from the disease.
Statewide, 426 intensive care units remain available, below the 455.7 average since the Wisconsin Hospital Association started reporting the data on April 9th. A total of 304 ventilators are in use for any purpose from the state’s supply of 1,240, that’s below the average of 340.
Charts and Maps
Wisconsin COVID-19 summary
|Status||Number (%) of People as of 4/19/2020|
|Negative Test Results||45,323|
|Positive Test Results||4,346|
Percent of COVID-19 cases and deaths by gender
|Gender||Confirmed Cases as of 4/19/2020||Deaths as of 4/19/2020|
Confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths by race
|Race||Number of cases as of 4/19/2020||Percent of cases as of 4/19/2020||Number of deaths as of 4/19/2020||Percent of deaths as of 4/19/2020|
|Asian or Pacific Islander||116||3%||5||2%|
|Multiple or Other races||145||3%||0||0%|
Confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths by ethnicity
|Ethnicity||Number of cases as of 4/19/2020||Percent of cases as of 4/19/2020||Number of deaths as of 4/19/2020||Percent of deaths as of 4/19/2020|
|Hispanic or Latino||628||14%||11||5%|
|Not Hispanic or Latino||2,819||65%||207||94%|
Number of positive cases and deaths by county
|Wisconsin County||Positive as of 4/19/2020||Negative as of 4/19/2020||Deaths as of 4/19/2020||Rate (positive cases per 100,000 people) as of 4/19/2020||Case fatality percentage (percent of cases who died) as of 4/19/2020|
|Fond du Lac||62||1,007||3||60.6||5%|
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Senator Baldwin and Representatives Moore, Kind, and Pocan Call on President Trump to Extend Full Federal Funding for Wisconsin National Guard to Fight COVID-19 Pandemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Aug 14th, 2020
- Are COVID-19 Deaths Higher Than We Think? - Erik Gunn - Aug 14th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Currently Suppressing COVID-19 - Graham Kilmer - Aug 13th, 2020
- Unemployment Claims Below 1 Million Last Week - Graham Kilmer - Aug 13th, 2020
- Transportation: Bus Capacity Increasing to 15 - Graham Kilmer - Aug 13th, 2020
- UWM Professor Studying How To Improve Pandemic Communication - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 13th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Testing Hits Month Low - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 13th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces Launch of COVID-19 Response and Recovery Investment Dashboard - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 13th, 2020
- Pandemic Aid Programs Are Failing Us - Princess Safiya Byers - Aug 13th, 2020
- Baldwin Rebukes Trump Admin Over Testing Shortages - Erik Gunn - Aug 13th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here