Evers Calls Special Session on Guns
Governor says only Vos and Fitzgerald prevent common sense gun reforms.
Governor Tony Evers signed an executive order Monday morning calling a special session of the Legislature on November 7th to address gun control reform.
Evers would like to see the state implement universal background checks and establish a “red flag” law allowing the state to temporarily remove guns from the possession of someone who may present a danger to others or themselves.
In a press conference at Milwaukee City Hall, Evers, flanked by Lieutenant Governor Mandela Barnes, Mayor Tom Barrett, much of the Milwaukee state legislative delegation and gun control activists, called on the Republican-controlled Legislature to act on his two proposals.
“These are common-sense solutions that we know can save lives because they have already done so in states they have implemented them,” said Evers.
“How many times can you go essentially against 80 percent of the people of the state of Wisconsin and essentially tell them to ‘go to hell’ and expect to be re-elected? It doesn’t make sense to me,” said the governor of Assembly Speaker Robin Vos and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald.
Barrett and activist Debra Gillispie shared stories of ways Evers’ proposal would have saved lives. Gilispie’s son was killed in 2003 by someone that she said would not have been able to purchase a firearm if universal background checks were required. Barrett said a similar thing was true of the 2012 Azana Spa shooting in Brookfield.
Fitzgerald didn’t waste any time responding. In a brief statement, the Senate leader said: “It’s easy to see how today’s action could just be the first attack on the Second Amendment. The Senate will not be part of a drawn-out strategy to infringe on constitutional rights.”
A Marquette Law School poll released in early September found that 80 percent of respondents favored universal background checks and 81 percent support a “red flag” law.
The Legislature is not required to take up the bills during the session and could vote to immediately adjourn. But Evers said he would consider calling another special session until something was done to address the situation.
“We have two people in the state of Wisconsin that stand between us and common-sense gun regulation,” said Evers about Vos and Fitzgerald.
“Will this be the answer, be the end-all, be-all, no. But it’s a great first step,” said Evers when asked about crimes with illegally-obtained firearms.
Barnes noted that the issue doesn’t impact just Milwaukee. Evers is also scheduled to travel to Wausau and Green Bay to announce the special session.
Representatives Evan Goyke, Robyn Vining, Greta Neubauer, Jonathan Brostoff, David Crowley, David Bowen and Christine Sinicki were joined by Senators Chris Larson and LaTonya Johnson and members of March for Our Lives, Moms Demand Action and Wisconsin Anti Violence Effort (WAVE).
Former Governor Scott Walker called nine special sessions, most recently in March 2018 for a failed effort to pass school safety bills.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
More about the Gun Violence
- Nothing Changed After Molson Coors Shooting - Allison Stevens - Mar 6th, 2020
- Op Ed: Losing Sheila’s Smile - Jeff Spitzer-Resnick - Dec 31st, 2019
- Baldwin Helps Secure Federal Funding to Conduct Gun Violence Research For First Time in More Than 20 Years - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 19th, 2019
- How Gerrymandering Stalls Gun Safety - Robin Bravender - Dec 17th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls for Action on Funding Gun Violence Research at CDC - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Evers May Call Second Special Session on Guns - Laurel White - Nov 19th, 2019
- Rep. Anderson Addresses Republican Inaction on Gun Reform - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Nov 8th, 2019
- Rep. Considine Reacts to Legislature’s Inaction During Special Session - State Rep. Dave Considine - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republicans Dismiss Governor’s Special Session - Laurel White - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republican Senators, Do Your Job! - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republican Inaction on Gun Safety Fails Wisconsin - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - Nov 7th, 2019
- Republicans Ignore 80 Percent of Wisconsinites, Majority of Gun Owners, Refuse to Take Up Gun Safety Reform - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 7th, 2019
- Sen. Fitzgerald Stands Up for Second Amendment, Ends Evers’ Special Session on Gun Control - Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald - Nov 7th, 2019
- Republicans Fail to Prioritize the Safety of Wisconsinites - State Sen. LaTonya Johnson - Nov 7th, 2019
- Every Day of Inaction Is One Day Closer to a Preventable Mass Shooting - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Nov 7th, 2019
- Op Ed: Vos, Fitzgerald Scared of Gun Reforms - Melanie Conklin - Oct 28th, 2019
- Gov. Evers Delivers Democratic Weekly Radio Address Calling for Legislative Action on Gun Safety Reform - Gov. Tony Evers - Oct 24th, 2019
- Campaign Cash: The NRA Brigade - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Oct 22nd, 2019
- Sen. Taylor Calls for Focus on Violence Prevention - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Oct 21st, 2019
- Evers Calls Special Session on Guns - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 21st, 2019
- Sen. Fitzgerald Reacts to Gov. Evers Special Session Announcement - Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald - Oct 21st, 2019
- Gov. Evers Signs Executive Order #54 Calling for a Special Session on Legislation to Address Gun Violence - Gov. Tony Evers - Oct 21st, 2019
- Democrats Push Medical Marijuana, Red Flag Law - Laurel White - Oct 7th, 2019
- Municipalities Calling For Mass Violence Reform - Alana Watson - Sep 26th, 2019
- Evers Wants Gun Laws - Shamane Mills - Sep 25th, 2019
- Rep. Anderson in Support of Extreme Risk Protection Orders - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Sep 19th, 2019
- Evers Renews Call for Red Flag Gun Law - Laurel White - Sep 19th, 2019
- Republican Inaction Ignores Urgency of Gun Violence Crisis - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Sep 19th, 2019
- Senator Craig Reacts to Evers’ Statement on Gun Confiscation - State Sen. David Craig - Sep 19th, 2019
- Rep. Robyn Vining Backs Extreme Risk Protection Order Legislation - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Sep 19th, 2019
- What Will It Take To Act? - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Sep 19th, 2019
- Democrats Announce Extreme Risk Protection Order Legislation to Prevent Suicide and Gun Violence - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 19th, 2019
- Wis. Republicans Once Backed Gun Control - Robin Bravender - Aug 30th, 2019
- Sen. Taylor and Mothers Against Gun Violence Partner to Educate during National Life Insurance Month - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 29th, 2019
- Celebrating the Life of Quanita ‘Tay’ Jackson - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 26th, 2019
- Shooting takes a positive agent for change in the community - Ald. Khalif Rainey - Aug 26th, 2019
- Op Ed: Congress Must Take on Gun Industry - Ray Dall’Osto and Chris Strohbehn - Aug 23rd, 2019
- Alderman Urges Gun Control After Attack - Alana Watson - Aug 22nd, 2019
- Gunfire too common and too close for comfort – time for action on firearms - Ald. Cavalier “Chevy” Johnson - Aug 21st, 2019
- Op Ed: Gun Control Has Wide Support - State Sen. Jeff Smith - Aug 19th, 2019
- Op Ed: State Needs Republican Leadership on Guns - Gregory Humphrey - Aug 16th, 2019
- Rep. Gordon Hintz: Statement on Universal Background Checks - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Aug 15th, 2019
- Evers, Democrats Unveil Background Checks Bill - Laurel White - Aug 15th, 2019
- The Time for Universal Background Checks is Now - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Aug 15th, 2019
- Hesselbein Supports Common Sense Background Checks - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - Aug 15th, 2019
- Representative Lisa Subeck Joins Governor Evers, Democratic Colleagues Introducing Universal Background Check Legislation - State Rep. Lisa Subeck - Aug 15th, 2019
- Wisconsin Democrats Announce Universal Background Checks Bill, Call on Republicans to Act - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 15th, 2019
- “I Don’t Have the Answer” to Mass Shootings - Laurel White - Aug 14th, 2019
- Survivor of Gun Violence Opposes the Death Penalty - Erik Gunn - Aug 10th, 2019
- Dem Lawmakers Push Bill to Tax Guns - Erik Gunn - Aug 9th, 2019
- Rep. Robyn Vining Echoes Call to Action Against Gun Violence - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Aug 8th, 2019
- Rep. Anderson Introduces Legislation to Create a Statewide Fund for Victims of Gun Violence - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Aug 7th, 2019
- State Leaders Divided Over Gun Laws - Laurel White - Aug 7th, 2019
- Rep. Hintz: Statement on Gun Violence Prevention - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Aug 6th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: About Those Good Guys With a Gun - Bruce Murphy - Jul 30th, 2019
- Representative Subeck Introduces “Safe Storage for Gun Safety” Package to Curb Gun Violence and Accidental Shootings - State Rep. Lisa Subeck - Jul 26th, 2019
- Rep. Robyn Vining Supports “Wear Orange” for Gun Violence Prevention - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Jun 7th, 2019
- Rep. Zamarripa Statement on Wear Orange Weekend - State Rep. JoCasta Zamarripa - Jun 7th, 2019
- Op Ed: Suicides Up Since Gun Waiting Period Ended - Chris Walker - Apr 21st, 2019
- Representative Lisa Subeck Praises Federal Background Check Expansion Act Introduction - State Rep. Lisa Subeck - Jan 9th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Helps Introduce Background Check Expansion Act To Reduce Gun Violence - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jan 9th, 2019
- Senator Larson & Representative Bowen: Call on Gun Manufacturers to Prioritize “Smart Gun” Technology and Other Gun Safety Measures in Order to Reduce Gun Violence - State Sen. Chris Larson - Sep 13th, 2018
- School Safety Grant Program Avoids Larger Issues of Gun Violence - State Sen. Chris Larson - Jul 24th, 2018
- Most School Shooters Get Their Guns at Home - State Rep. Terese Berceau - May 22nd, 2018
- Governor Walker Orders Flags to Half-Staff Following Tragedy in Santa Fe, Texas - Gov. Scott Walker - May 18th, 2018
- Bryce Releases Statement on Santa Fe High School Shooting - Randy Bryce - May 18th, 2018
- Why Student Activists Did 50 Mile March - Will Kenneally - Apr 20th, 2018
- Roys Marks 19th Anniversary of Columbine Shooting - Kelda Roys - Apr 20th, 2018
- Marchers Seek Gun Control - Margaret Cannon - Apr 5th, 2018
- Giffords Endorses Rebecca Dallet for Wisconsin Supreme Court Against Gun Lobby Backed Candidate - Rebecca Dallet - Mar 30th, 2018
- Mayor Tom Barrett Applauds Passage of Bill Prohibiting Straw Purchasing - Mayor Tom Barrett - Mar 28th, 2018
- Governor Walker Signs $100 Million School Safety Plan into Law - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 26th, 2018
- Republicans Again Did Nothing to Address Gun Violence - State Sen. Chris Larson - Mar 20th, 2018
- School safety package is rushed, needs significant fixes - State Rep. David Bowen - Mar 20th, 2018
- Tom Palzewicz Releases Comprehensive Gun Safety Reform Plan - Tom Palzewicz - Mar 20th, 2018
- Dana Wachs Responds to Gov. Walker’s Short-Sighted School Safety Plan - State Rep. Dana Wachs - Mar 15th, 2018
- Gov. Walker fails to act on gun safety - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Mar 15th, 2018
- No Child Should Ever Feel Unsafe in School: Governor Walker Calls $100 million Special Session on School Safety - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 15th, 2018
- I stand with our children - Ald. Chantia Lewis - Mar 14th, 2018
- National Walkout Day: I Sit in Solidarity with Students - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Mar 14th, 2018
- Youth Council measure urges support of National School Walkout Day and March for Our Lives - City of Milwaukee Youth Council - Mar 13th, 2018
- Mayor Tom Barrett, City Leaders Call For Gun Safety from Children - Mayor Tom Barrett - Mar 12th, 2018
- The State of Politics: School Safety Bill Renews Gun Debate - Steven Walters - Mar 12th, 2018
- The Intersection of Guns and Race - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Mar 8th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Cosponsors Critical School Safety Legislation - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 6th, 2018
- Representative Subeck Statement on Governor’s Comments on School Safety - State Rep. Lisa Subeck - Mar 1st, 2018
- Roys calls on Walker to pass common sense gun reform during proposed special session on gun violence - Kelda Roys - Mar 1st, 2018
- Op Ed: Thoughtful Discussion Needed on Guns - Kyle Hagge - Mar 1st, 2018
- Guns, Grief and Grace - Elizabeth Baker - Feb 28th, 2018
- The time for action on gun violence is now - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Feb 28th, 2018
- The Contrarian: The Real “Gun Nuts” - George Mitchell - Feb 26th, 2018
- Did Michael Screnock Promise the NRA He Supports More Guns in Schools? - One Wisconsin Now - Feb 23rd, 2018
- Universal Background Checks Fail on Party Line in WI State Assembly - State Rep. Jonathan Brostoff - Feb 21st, 2018
- Bryce Calls on Speaker Ryan to Meet with Students from his District - Randy Bryce - Feb 21st, 2018
- Republicans block school shooting precautions - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Feb 20th, 2018
- Passage of Senate Bill 408 - State Sen. Chris Larson - Feb 20th, 2018
- Republican Bill Would Put Guns in Wisconsin Schools - One Wisconsin Now - Feb 19th, 2018
- Speaker Ryan Chooses Campaign Donors Over South Florida Teacher - Randy Bryce - Feb 17th, 2018
- Dana Wachs Calls for an Overhaul of Assault Weapon Laws and Other Measures to Fight Domestic Terrorism - State Rep. Dana Wachs - Feb 16th, 2018
- GOP Chair of State Assembly Committee on Education, School Principal Shares Article Romanticizing Guns in Schools in Aftermath of Florida Mass School Shooting - One Wisconsin Now - Feb 16th, 2018
- Data Wonk: The More Guns, Less Crime Scam - Bruce Thompson - Oct 18th, 2017
- Op Ed: 5 Ways to Reduce Gun Deaths - Patrick Dunphy - Oct 16th, 2017