Pocan Says Impeachment Vote Coming Soon
Democratic congressman expects House Committee to vote by year's end.
Speaking with reporters in his Madison office, Pocan, a Democrat, said he expects the House Judiciary Committee to vote by the end of 2019 on whether the articles of impeachment should go before the entire House of Representatives.
“We know that this is going to move very expeditiously,” he said.
Though official investigations are ongoing, Pocan said he believes there is already enough evidence to impeach the president.
“We already have a motive, we have a crime, we have a confession and we have evidence,” he said.
The congressman also criticized Wisconsin U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson for not notifying colleagues or federal authorities after learning in August about a potential quid-pro-quo between Trump and Ukrainian officials.
Johnson, a Republican, first heard of the interaction between Trump and Ukranian President Volodymyr Zelensky from U.S. Ambassador Gordon Sondland prior to a whistleblower going public with allegations of a quid-pro-quo.
“None of this passes the Wisconsin smell test,” Pocan said. “I do think that Ron Johnson should have enough Wisconsin in him that that should have been a concern for him and he should have dealt with it.”
Johnson initially made public statements that he “winced” upon learning of the president’s actions, but has since pivoted to a staunch defense of the president and criticism of the FBI and CIA. Johnson has said he took the matter up directly with the president, who assured him no quid-pro-quo took place.
Pocan, who was first elected to represent Wisconsin’s 2nd Congressional District in 2012, said impeachment has been a primary subject of concern at town hall events in his district.
“People are just really concerned about the president thinking he’s above the law,” he said.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Congressman Mark Pocan Says Impeachment Vote Could Come Soon was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
More about the Impeachment of President Trump
- Op Ed: The Courage of Mitt Romney - Bill Kaplan - Feb 10th, 2020
- In Trump Acquittal, Wisconsin Legislators Divided - Robin Bravender and Ruth Conniff - Feb 6th, 2020
- Pocan: ‘A Cover-Up That Will Haunt our Democracy’ - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Feb 5th, 2020
- Call Bolton to Testify, Baldwin Urges - Erik Gunn - Jan 29th, 2020
- “Gut Check Time” For Senators, Baldwin Says - Shawn Johnson - Jan 28th, 2020
- Data Wonk: Measuring Republican Views on Impeachment - Bruce Thompson - Jan 2nd, 2020
- Data Wonk: Rep. Sensenbrenner’s Disappointing Column - Bruce Thompson - Dec 26th, 2019
- Pocan: ‘A Vote That Sets the Precedent for All Future Presidents’ - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Dec 18th, 2019
- It’s “Obvious” Senate Will Acquit Trump - Robin Bravender - Dec 18th, 2019
- Sensenbrenner Votes Against Weak Impeachment Articles after Partisan Committee Markup - U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner - Dec 13th, 2019
- Sensenbrenner Statement on Articles of Impeachment - U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner - Dec 10th, 2019
- Congresswoman Moore Supports Decision to Move Forward with Articles of Impeachment - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Dec 5th, 2019
- Op Ed: Impeachment Depends on Facts - Bill Kaplan - Nov 26th, 2019
- State’s GOP Congressmen Skip Depositions - Robin Bravender - Nov 25th, 2019
- Why State Voters Cooled on Impeachment - Ruth Conniff - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Poll Shows Less Support For Impeachment - Miranda Suarez - Nov 21st, 2019
- Ron Johnson Attacks Vindman, Defends Trump - Ruth Conniff - Nov 20th, 2019
- Johnson Dodges Questions About Trump, Ukraine - Allison Stevens - Nov 7th, 2019
- Sen. Ron Johnson Continues Impeachment Bumbling - One Wisconsin Now - Nov 1st, 2019
- Sen. Johnson Says Trump Not Guilty - Corri Hess - Oct 31st, 2019
- Sensenbrenner Statement on Impeachment Resolution - U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner - Oct 31st, 2019
- Op Ed: Donald Trump’s Man in Ukraine - Mike Browne - Oct 29th, 2019
- Big Jump in State Support for Impeachment - Laurel White - Oct 24th, 2019
- Pocan Says Impeachment Vote Coming Soon - Laurel White - Oct 15th, 2019
- Wisconsin Politicians and Impeachment History - Robin Bravender - Oct 2nd, 2019