Bucks’ Health Clinic Will Soon Open
Downtown clinic is partnership with Froedtert MCW to serve Bucks, local residents.
Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) will officially open their new downtown clinic on November 16th.
McKinley Health Center, as it will be called, was born out of a meeting two years ago between the Milwaukee Bucks organization and Froedtert and MCW. The Bucks had launched the new arena project, and President Peter Feigin says he always wanted a wellness component included in it. “That’s what landed us here,” says Cathy Jacobson, president and CEO of Froedtert Health.
The company held a ribbon-cutting Tuesday night for the new facility at 1271 N. 6th St., and will hold a community open house Saturday for prospective patients to tour the building and make appointments.
The new facility is the healthcare organization’s first in the heart of Milwaukee. And it comes in the form of a real estate and marketing partnership with the Milwaukee Bucks. “Froedtert was interested in coming to the city and we happen to have 30 acres of land to build it,” Feigin says.
The price tag for the multi-million dollar facility is being kept under wraps, say executives from Froedtert & MCW and the Bucks. But Feigin says, “It was several million dollars to do it, and Froedtert has a long term lease.” In 2016 the team indicated the project was estimated to cost $10 million.
The facility is the official sports medicine and orthopedics facility of the Milwaukee Bucks and has a specialty program aligned with the needs of the sports organization. Jacobson says the Bucks had a “broad vision” when the team was looking for the right partner to offer healthcare and be the physicians for the Milwaukee Bucks.
“It really enabled us to talk about a broader partnership than just sponsorship,” she says. “Because once you commit to the clinic, you’re not doing a five year sponsorship deal, you’re really talking about a much longer period of time.”
And, Jacobson adds, her organization was excited about the opportunity to branch out to Milwaukee’s downtown. She notes the facility will provide “additional access” to north side neighborhoods as well as Downtown.
The facility has a floor dedicated to primary care and a floor dedicated to orthopedics, sports medicine, physical therapy, podiatry and radiology. But, looking to the younger population in and around Milwaukee’s downtown, Jacobson says Froedtert will also have a FastCare walk-in clinic that has extended weekday and Saturday hours for residents that don’t regularly use preventative care or chronic illness services.
The facility will also provide services for employers in the downtown area, a clinic they can send their employees to. Jacobson also says the market for virtual visits is growing, so the new facility has rooms designed for virtual consultations and e-visits with physicians.
The facility is attached to the Frodtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Sports Science Center, which serves as the Milwaukee Bucks private training facility. That facility, which opened in August, had an estimated cost of $30 million.
The McKinley Health Center
More about the New Bucks Arena
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Panel Okays Live Block Shrinkage - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 4th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks’ Live Block Connector Approved - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 21st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena 68% Complete - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 21st, 2017
- Bucks’ Health Clinic Will Soon Open - Graham Kilmer - Nov 9th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Unveil Arena Parking Garage - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 31st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena On Budget, On Schedule - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 5th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Live Block Work Starts in Deer District - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Top Off New Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 24th, 2017
- Photo Gallery: Touring The New Bucks Arena - Graham Kilmer - Aug 1st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Inside New Bucks Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 6th, 2017
- Friday Photos: The Deer District Rises - Jeramey Jannene - May 12th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Approves Arena, Hammes Design Changes - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 1st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Committee Okays Two Downtown Designs - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 22nd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Unveil New Signs for Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 14th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Arena Rises from Frozen Tundra - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 16th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Live Block is a Slam Dunk - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 5th, 2016
- Friday Photos: New Bucks Arena From Above - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 7th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Okays Streetcar to Bucks Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 6th, 2016
- Friday Photos: Bucks Arena Work Prep - Jeramey Jannene - May 27th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena Design Approved - Jeramey Jannene - May 17th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: How Urban is Bucks New Arena? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 18th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: New Bucks Arena Approved - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2015
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena Winners and Losers - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 17th, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: How Could Walker Refuse Incredible Deal? - Bruce Murphy - Feb 12th, 2015