Nygren, Sidener Dramatize Opioid Problem
Daughter of GOP legislator and former Democratic leader’s problems call for state response.
Addiction is a cruel illness. And it knows no boundaries.
That fact has never been more evident in Wisconsin, where one prominent Republican legislator’s daughter and one former state Democratic Party executive director have been in the news relating to apparent overdose deaths.
Cassandra Nygren, daughter of Republican State Rep. John Nygren, is facing first-degree reckless homicide charges and more relating to an apparent overdose death of a woman and her unborn child in Brown County.
Tragically, this is not the first time Cassandra Nygren has had legal issues relating to drugs, despite efforts at sobriety.
According to online court records, Cassandra Nygren went to prison for a 2009 narcotic drugs case and was on probation and served jail time for a 2014 narcotic drugs case.
It is often through personal suffering that people affected are motivated to spark change, and that is evident through what Cassandra Nygren’s father has done. Since 2013, John Nygren has sponsored at least 30 bills relating to drug addiction.
In other news, the home of former state Democratic Party Executive Director Jason Sidener was searched by law enforcement after a woman died from another apparent drug overdose last month.
According to the Wisconsin State Journal, the search warrant indicates Sidener took the woman to the hospital after she was “breathing really weird.” The woman was dead upon arrival.
The investigation is ongoing, and no arrests or charges have been filed in the case.
Drug overdose deaths, especially relating to heroin, are a major problem in Wisconsin. Between 2010 and 2012, 1,381 people died of opioid-related overdoses. That number rose to 1,524 between 2013 and 2015 in Wisconsin.
So, what do we do as a society? How do we make our communities safe? With the understanding that there will always be drug issues to a certain extent, how do we prevent them from occurring as best we can?
While punishment and incarceration may be necessary for some, we cannot imprison our way out of the problem of addiction. It hasn’t worked. We can’t keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.
Countless people with addiction fill our state’s jails and prisons.
Our nation incarcerates more people per capita than any other country on Earth. With just 5 percent of the world’s population, we incarcerate 25 percent of the world’s prison population.
From 1970 to 2005, the prison population in the United States rose by a staggering 700 percent. The Wisconsin Taxpayers Alliance analysis found that between 1995 and 2015, Wisconsin’s per capita incarceration rate nearly doubled.
Addiction is a disease of the brain and body. It is not a moral failing.
Addicts are not, on the whole, bad people. The most prominent, largest association of doctors in the United States, the American Medical Association, classifies addiction as a disease.
Rather than ridiculing and chastising addicts who make mistakes or bad decisions, we ought to be encouraging them in their recovery. Alcohol and drug treatment is, by far, the best means to treat addiction and to ultimately prevent crime from recurring. While there is an extremely limited amount of addiction-related treatment available in prison, the fact is prisons and jails are largely not equipped and do not have the necessary resources to deal with addicts.
We desperately need far more alcohol and drug treatment options available for all people, not just those few who can afford extremely expensive intensive treatment. Limited insurance coverage for treatment and a lack of sufficient medication-assisted treatment are enormous barriers to solving this epidemic.
Addicts will often relapse or “fall off the wagon.” This should not be viewed as a failure for which we, as a society, deem that person hopeless. Addiction specialists, medical doctors and neuroscientists understand relapsing is part of the process of recovery.
If we want to make a real impact on crime reduction and public safety, we must understand and treat addiction for what it is — a disease, not a moral failing.
Casey Hoff is a criminal defense attorney based in Sheboygan.
This op ed originally ran in the Sheboygan Press.
More about the Opioid Crisis
- Wisconsin Jail Population Rising - Rob Mentzer and Keegan Kyle - Jan 16th, 2020
- One Doctor’s Fight to Handle Opioid Crisis - Bram Sable-Smith - Jan 1st, 2020
- Milwaukee Medical Doctor and Clinic Office Manager Convicted of Unlawfully Distributing Opioids - U.S. Department of Justice - Dec 19th, 2019
- Justice Department Awards More Than $333 Million to Fight Opioid Crisis - U.S. Department of Justice - Dec 12th, 2019
- California Man Indicted on Fentanyl Distribution Charges - U.S. Department of Justice - Dec 11th, 2019
- City Hall: City Wins $700,000 For Drug Overdose Fight - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2019
- Council approves hiring outside counsel to recover opioid epidemic costs - Ald. Michael Murphy - Oct 15th, 2019
- Oxycontin Maker Gave $65k to Marquette University - Rich Kremer - Oct 7th, 2019
- Wisconsin Not Settling With OxyContin Manufacturer - Brady Carlson - Oct 2nd, 2019
- Milwaukee Experiencing Unprecedented Number of Drug Overdoses - Isiah Holmes - Sep 25th, 2019
- Kaul Rejects Settlement with Oxycontin - Melanie Conklin - Sep 12th, 2019
- Opioid Settlement Could Aid County - Isiah Holmes - Sep 4th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Announces Nearly $5.2 Million in Federal Funding to Reduce Opioid Overdoses in Wisconsin - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Sep 3rd, 2019
- Inside State’s First 24/7 Opioid Treatment Center - Isiah Holmes - Aug 29th, 2019
- Opioid Addiction Can Be Beaten, Experts Say - Isiah Holmes - Aug 15th, 2019
- State Health Agency’s New Data Tool Shows a Decline in the Number of Opioid Deaths in Wisconsin - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Aug 14th, 2019
- DHS Takes Coordinated Approach to Dealing with Opioid Addiction - Brady Carlson - Aug 9th, 2019
- Why the Weekend of Fatal Overdoses? - Isiah Holmes - Jul 31st, 2019
- Wisconsin Is Awash in Opioids - Isiah Holmes - Jul 28th, 2019
- City May Sue Opioid Manufacturers - Alana Watson - Jul 26th, 2019
- Attorney General Kaul Files Lawsuit to Hold Purdue Pharma Accountable for Role in Opioid Crisis - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - May 16th, 2019
- AG Kaul Announces Wisconsin, Four Other States, File Lawsuits Against Purdue Pharma - Josh Kaul - May 16th, 2019
- Medicaid Expansion Would Help Opioid Addicts - Laurel White - May 9th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Helps Reintroduce Legislation to Combat the Opioid and Substance Use Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - May 8th, 2019
- Kaul, AGs Warn of More Opioid Problems - Shamane Mills - Apr 2nd, 2019
- Bipartisan Coalition of AGs Express Concern Regarding HHS Pain Management Draft Report - Josh Kaul - Apr 1st, 2019
- Opioid Crisis Affecting State Businesses - Shamane Mills - Apr 1st, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin’s Bipartisan Work Recognized by National Organization - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 28th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Announces New Federal Funding To Help Wisconsin Combat the Opioid Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 27th, 2019
- Three Hospitals Offer 40 Recovery Coaches - Mary Kate McCoy - Mar 22nd, 2019
- State Officials Meet to Tackle Drug Epidemic - Shamane Mills - Mar 18th, 2019
- The Enduring Allure of Opioids - Hayley Sperling - Feb 24th, 2019
- Hagedorn Campaign Releases First TV Ad: “Lily” - Brian Hagedorn - Feb 19th, 2019
- Opioid Prescriptions in State Down 29% - Shamane Mills - Feb 11th, 2019
- Have County Overdose Deaths Peaked? - Ximena Conde - Dec 31st, 2018
- Drug Task Force Seeks Community Input - Max Nawara - Dec 20th, 2018
- Ald. Tony Zielinski to Sponsor Legislation to Ensure Proper Coverage for City Employees Struggling with Addiction and Other Mental Health Problems - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Dec 17th, 2018
- Opioid Task Force Issues Recommendations - Ximena Conde - Dec 4th, 2018
- Final report released by Heroin, Opioid and Cocaine Task Force - Ald. Michael Murphy - Nov 30th, 2018
- 4th Dimension Recovery Center Opens to Address Opioid Epidemic in Wisconsin - 4th Dimension Recovery Center - Nov 12th, 2018
- Governor Walker Announces 32% Decrease in Opioid Prescriptions Since January 2015 - Gov. Scott Walker - Oct 31st, 2018
- #HopeActLiveWI: Wisconsin Awarded Nearly $3 Million to Combat Opioid Epidemic - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Oct 10th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Announces More Than $20 Million Awarded to Wisconsin Communities to Fight the Opioid Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Sep 21st, 2018
- Senator Baldwin’s Reforms Pass Senate with Overwhelming Bipartisan Support - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Sep 18th, 2018
- Another Attorney General Not Named Brad Schimel Sues Opioid Manufacturer - One Wisconsin Now - Sep 15th, 2018
- Bipartisan Senate Opioids Response Legislation Includes Senator Baldwin’s Reforms - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Sep 12th, 2018
- The State of Politics: Counties Struggle With Opioid Costs - Steven Walters - Aug 20th, 2018
- Vipond Campaign: ‘Opioids: Clear & Present Danger’ in Race to Replace Sensenbrenner - Dr. Jennifer Hoppe Vipond - Aug 1st, 2018
- PDMP Report Shows Continued Decline in Controlled Substances Dispensed - Gov. Scott Walker - Jul 30th, 2018
- Illegal drugs are strangling the life out of our neighborhoods - Ald. Bob Donovan - Jul 19th, 2018
- Meth A Bigger Issue Than Opioids? - Shamane Mills - Jul 6th, 2018
- Sensenbrenner-Backed Legislation to Fight Synthetic Opioids Clears House - U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner - Jun 15th, 2018
- Community Engagement Session Hosted by Heroin, Opioid and Cocaine Task Force - Ald. Michael Murphy - Jun 4th, 2018
- Brad Schimel and Scott Walker Repeat Mistakes Past; Refuse to Take Legal Action Against Opioid Manufacturers - One Wisconsin Now - Jun 4th, 2018
- State Awards $2.4 Million For Opioid Treatment - Danielle Kaeding - Jun 2nd, 2018
- Campaign Cash: State Politicians Funded by Accused Drug Makers - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - May 26th, 2018
- City-County Plan Targets Opioid Epidemic - Edgar Mendez - May 22nd, 2018
- Brad Schimel Election Ad Blames Families, Not His Pharmaceutical Donors for Opioid Crisis - One Wisconsin Now - May 17th, 2018
- Governor Walker Announces 10% Drop in Opioid Prescriptions Dispensed Over the Past Year - Gov. Scott Walker - May 16th, 2018
- Cocaine Overdose Deaths Have Nearly Tripled - Ximena Conde - May 15th, 2018
- Bryce Calls on Steil to To Reject Donations from Pharmaceutical Companies Fueling the Opioid Crisis - Randy Bryce - May 9th, 2018
- U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin and Bill Cassidy Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Halt the Flow of Illicit Fentanyl into the U.S. - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Apr 24th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Joins Colleagues to Call on Administration to Take Immediate Action to Reduce Price of Life-Saving Opioid Overdose Reversal Drug - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Apr 20th, 2018
- Opioid Crisis: The House Where Addicts Die - Isiah Holmes - Apr 18th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Helps Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Address the Opioid Crisis - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Apr 17th, 2018
- Op Ed: Stronger Action Needed on Opioid Crisis - Matt Flynn - Apr 14th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Helps Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Allow Safe Disposal of Unwanted Drugs in Hospice - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Apr 13th, 2018
- Leah Attends Opioid Taskforce Meeting about Alternative Treatments to Pain - State Sen. Leah Vukmir - Apr 13th, 2018
- Walker Signs Vukmir Bill Battling Opioid Crisis - State Sen. Leah Vukmir - Apr 10th, 2018
- Combating the Opioid Crisis: Governor Walker Signs Bipartisan Bills on Opioids into Law - Gov. Scott Walker - Apr 9th, 2018
- Bipartisan Alternative Drug Treatment Program Signed Into Law - State Rep. Evan Goyke - Apr 3rd, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Hosts Roundtable with Green Bay Officials on Fighting the Opioid Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Apr 2nd, 2018
- U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin, Todd Young and Edward Markey Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Fight Opioid-Related Infectious Diseases - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 23rd, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Announces New Funding for Wisconsin to Combat the Opioid Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 22nd, 2018
- Vukmir Battles Opioid Epidemic - State Sen. Leah Vukmir - Mar 20th, 2018
- Supervisor Peggy West: Time to Hold Drug Makers Accountable - Sup. Peggy A. West - Mar 14th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin to Health Insurers: Step Up Response to Opioid Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 5th, 2018
- Latest Report Highlights 20 Percent Decrease in Opioid Prescriptions Dispensed from 2015 to 2017 - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 2nd, 2018
- Tracking Opioid Deaths by ZIP Code - Isiah Holmes - Mar 1st, 2018
- Governor Walker Discusses the Opioid Epidemic at Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs Conference - Gov. Scott Walker - Feb 5th, 2018
- Vukmir, Nygren Lead Efforts to Combat the Opioid Epidemic - State Sen. Leah Vukmir - Jan 19th, 2018
- Governor Walker Takes Additional Action to Fight Opioid Crisis - Gov. Scott Walker - Jan 19th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump To Renew The Opioid Public Health Emergency - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jan 12th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump to Sign Bipartisan Legislation Passed by Congress to Help Halt Flow of Illicit Fentanyl into the United States - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 22nd, 2017
- Drug-Related Deaths To Hit 420 in 2017 - Edgar Mendez - Dec 21st, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Joins Bipartisan Group of Senators Urging Congressional Leadership to Commit Resources to Opioid Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 15th, 2017
- Murphy’s Law: Brad Schimel’s Opioid Problem - Bruce Murphy - Nov 14th, 2017
- Op Ed: State Leaves Counties to Sue Drug Companies - State Senators Janet Bewley and Dave Hansen - Nov 11th, 2017
- Special Report: Opioid Crisis Hits City Hard - Edgar Mendez - Nov 9th, 2017
- Opioid Crisis Still Growing - Dave Fidlin - Oct 30th, 2017
- Op Ed: Nygren, Sidener Dramatize Opioid Problem - Casey Hoff - Oct 18th, 2017
- Op Ed: The Heroin and Opioid Crisis Is Real - Isiah Holmes - Aug 28th, 2017
- The State of Politics: John Nygren’s War on Drug Abuse - Steven Walters - Jul 10th, 2017
- Op Ed: Opioid Crisis Demands Bipartisan Solutions - Jeff Plale - Feb 24th, 2017
- Governor Walker Announces Members of the Task Force on Opioid Abuse - Gov. Scott Walker - Oct 25th, 2016
- Prescription Drugs Lead Way to Heroin - Wyatt Massey - Mar 17th, 2016
- Heroin Deaths Up 241% Since 2010 - Wyatt Massey - Mar 16th, 2016