TCD Art Date, Dec. 21-23
Milwaukee offers plenty of art for pre-holiday shopping and post-holiday field trips.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 21
Play Date with Art: Paint-a-thon
- Milwaukee Art Museum, 700 N. Art Museum Drive
- 10am-Noon, for ages 5 and under accompanied by an adult
- Free with Museum admission, no registration required. Event includes singing time at 10:30 and 11:15!
- Waiting for the End of the World!!
- 804 E. Wright Street
- Gallery party and ongoing exhibition of painting and sculpture by Anthony Bussalacchi.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 23
- Ernest Hüpeden: Beyond the Forest
- 608 New York Avenue, Sheboygan
- Closed Dec. 24, 25, 31, and January 1.
- JMKAC opens the new exhibition Ernest Hüpeden: Beyond the Forest, on view through March 24. This adds to their current slate of exhibitions featuring artist-environment builders, which includes Emery Blagdon: The Healing Machine, Levi Fisher Ames: Animals Wild and Tame, and Dr. Charles Smith: The Ties that Bind.
ART AROUND TOWN
Maybe family is coming into town and you want to check out holiday-related art, or have some art-making adventures of your own. Here are some ideas:
- 184 N. Broadway
- Sign up for a painting session and learn to paint a specific composition or pick up a mini-canvas to casually paint on your own. Check the Splash calendar and website for more details.
- 2107 E. Capitol Drive, Shorewood.
- Exhibition continues through Dec. 30
- The 10-Year Retrospective now on view showcases 57 artists who have exhibited at Anaba through the years.
Grand Avenue Christmas
- Pabst Mansion, 2000 West Wisconsin Avenue
- Through January 13, 2013
- The 19th century mansion, once home to a Milwaukee beer baron, is ornately decked out for the season.
- UWM Art History Gallery, Mitchell Hall, Room 154
- 3203 North Downer Avenue
- Through January 11, 2013.
- Images of the Nativity are exhibited in prints from the 16th through the 18th centuries by artists such as Rembrandt, Albrecht Dürer, Annibale Carracci, and others.
ART ONLINE: LYRICAL GUSHERS
Japanese artist Sachiko Kodama uses ferrofluid (oil with iron oxide) spinning, splashing tree forms. How does that work? For more info, check out the story on NPR.
IDEAS FOR ART SHOPPING
See each venues’ website for additional information and hours.
- “Mini: Tiny Art & Tiny Prices”
- 722 E. Burleigh Street
- Exhibition through Jan. 3, 2013
- 5407 W. Vliet Street
- Through December 24, 2012
- 2456 N. Murray Ave.
- Open through December
- Available at the Milwaukee Art Museum
- 700 N. Art Museum Drive
- 2501 S. Howell Avenue
- Open December 1-31, 2012
One and Only: Gifts Made by Hand
- John Michael Kohler Arts Center
- JMKAC location: 608 New York Avenue, Sheboygan
- Shops at Woodlake ARTspace location: 725 Woodlake Road, Kohler, Wis.