44-Floor Tower Proposed for Lakefront
A new 44-story tower proposed for Milwaukee.
Barrett Visionary Development is proposing a new 44-floor tower for the site currently occupied by the MCTS Downtown Transit Center. The 750,000 square-foot building would include a large parking garage as well as apartments and a hotel. We have previously opined that we think the facility is prime for redevelopment.
Barrett’s proposal was selected project by County Executive Chris Abele following a request for information issued on April 2nd.
- Developer: Barrett Visionary, Rick Barrett, Principal
- Architect: Rinka Chung Architecture, Inc., Matt Rinka
- 180 hotel rooms
- 179 apartments
- 775 total parking spaces (395 for hotel, retail, and apartment users, 380 public spaces)
- Estimated project cost of $125 million
- 750,000 square feet
- Floor 1: Retail/Restaurant Space & Lobby Area
- Floor 2: Retail/Lobby Area/Mechanical
- Floor 3-5: Parking
- Floor 6: Ballroom and Conference Center
- Floor 7: Amenity Floor/Pool/Rooftop Green Space
- Floor 8-19: Hotel Rooms
- Floor 20-44: Apartment Homes
Process Moving Forward
- Milwaukee County Board’s Committee on Economic and Community Development will need to approve negotiations with Barrett Visionary Development.
- The full Milwaukee County Board will either confirm the decision of the Economic and Community Development committee, or overrule the committees action.
- An agreement between the County and Barrett Visionary Development would need to be voted on by the County Board.
- The site is expected to take 10 to 16 months to prepare. This includes relocate MCTS operations to an area near the Milwaukee Intermodal Station.
- Once Barrett Visionary Development has legal control of the site, the City of Milwaukee City Plan Commission (CPC) would likely see the proposal to recommend a zoning change.
- The City of Milwaukee Common Council Zoning, Neighborhoods & Development Committee (ZND) would see the proposal after CPC to approve a Detailed Planned Development (DPD). The Public Works Committee may also need to review any public infrastructure changes to the area.
- The full Milwaukee Common Council would get to take up the proposed DPD after ZND. The Mayor would need then to sign off on the Council’s decision.
- Following all approvals, construction would take up to 28 months.
More about the Couture
- Transportation: City Confident Couture Won’t Block Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 5th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Gets Financing Extension - Graham Kilmer - May 27th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Gets Financing Extension - Graham Kilmer - Mar 10th, 2019
- MKE County: County Committee Mollified on Couture - Graham Kilmer - Dec 4th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture Cleared for Takeoff - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 2nd, 2018
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Still in Limbo - Graham Kilmer - Oct 21st, 2018
- Plats and Parcels: County Officials Suggest Taking Back Couture Site - Graham Kilmer - Sep 16th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Multiple Tower Groundbreakings in 2018 - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture Seeks Commercial Tenants - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 4th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Okays Couture Sewer Subsidy - Jeramey Jannene - May 31st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture’s Surprise Sewer Being Moved - Jeramey Jannene - May 23rd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Approves The Couture - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 18th, 2017
- Changes Made to Couture’s Design - Graham Kilmer - Apr 10th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Second Lakefront Tower Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 3rd, 2017
- Photo Gallery: Transit Center Tower Demolition - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 8th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Goodbye Downtown Transit Center - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 30th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture is Finally Happening - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2016
- New Front Door for Lakefront - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2013
- County Threatened With Lakefront Lawsuit - Dave Reid - Jul 24th, 2012
- Photo Gallery: The Couture Press Conference - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 16th, 2012
- The Chatter: Abele vs County Board — Again - Bruce Murphy - Jul 12th, 2012
- 44-Floor Tower Proposed for Lakefront - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 11th, 2012