August had the highest number of traffic fatalities so far this year
As of August 31, a total of 356 people have died in Wisconsin traffic crashes in 2015
With 61 traffic fatalities, August was the deadliest month on Wisconsin roads so far this year. However, traffic fatalities last month also were seven fewer than August 2014 and four fewer than the five-year average for the month August, according to preliminary statistics from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT).
“In the last five years, August on average has been the worst month for traffic fatalities. Moreover, August 1969 remains the all-time deadliest month on Wisconsin roads with 154 traffic fatalities,” says David Pabst, director of the WisDOT Bureau of Transportation Safety. “Although last month had the highest number of fatalities so far this year, it still was the fourth safest month in terms of traffic deaths since World War II.”
As of August 31, a total of 356 people have died in Wisconsin traffic crashes in 2015, including 54 motorcycle drivers, two motorcycle passengers, 34 pedestrians and nine bicyclists. Traffic deaths through the end of August were 39 more than during the same period in 2014 but two fewer than the five-year average.
“In coming weeks, many motorcyclists will be on the road for fall rides around the state,” Pabst says. “To prevent crashes, drivers need to share the road and watch for motorcycles especially at intersections and while making turns and lane changes. To protect themselves and other motorists, motorcyclists must obey all traffic laws, such as speed limits, and never ride while impaired. They should always wear protective and conspicuous clothing and gear, including a helmet that meets or exceeds US DOT standards. Tragically, nearly two out of three motorcyclists who died in crashes last year in Wisconsin were not wearing helmets.”
Press Releases by Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Innovations, efficiencies save nearly $100 million in 2016 state fiscal year
Work will require lane closures
The comment period has been extended to January 15, 2017.
The project will not disrupt air or vehicle traffic at the airport.