What are Walker and Foxconn hiding?
$3 billion deal continues to be negotiated in secret
MADISON, WI – Gov. Walker’s mismanaged Wisconsin Economic Development Corp. (WEDC) is scheduled for a closed-door meeting this morning to discuss the biggest taxpayer giveaway to a foreign corporation in U.S. history. Gov. Walker approved the $3 billion deal last month which exempts Foxconn from complying with state environmental regulations, a company with a history of making empty promises and jobs that never materialize.
“There should be nothing secretive about a deal that requires us to shell out billions of dollars from taxpayers that the state could take decades — if ever — to recoup,” said Martha Laning, Chair of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. “It should concern all of us who care about our state and want to grow jobs that the public is being kept in the dark about how its money is being spent. What is Governor Walker hiding?”
Laning noted that taxpayers will not see a return on the Foxconn investment for another 25 years and quite possibly much longer.
“Taxpayers deserve to be respected with a transparent process in spending $3 billion of our money,” Laning added. “We also deserve to be allowed to consider other ways that $3 billion could be spent that might create more jobs all across the state if given to Wisconsin companies.
“This is a corporate giveaway of taxpayer dollars on a scale we’ve never seen before. Instead of subsidizing a foreign corporation that has failed many times in the past to follow through on its job promises and has treated employees terribly. Imagine what we could do with $3 billion for Wisconsin’s jobs, economy, roads, broadband, public schools and infrastructure. Yet Governor Walker has chosen to give a tax break to a company with an extremely bad track record on jobs and follow-through.
“In respect, transparency and democratic governing, Wisconsinites deserve better.”
- State Reviewing Foxconn Jobs Report - Erik Gunn - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Foxconn Hosts Smart Manufacturing Web Conference, Launches iAI Institute - Foxconn Technology Group - Jul 10th, 2020
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
WisDems and Arena, in Partnership with the DNCC and BFP, Announce Free, All-Virtual Campaign AcademyAug 6th, 2020 by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
Campaign Academy 2020 will provide free electoral training to thousands during Democratic National Convention