What are Walker and Foxconn hiding?
$3 billion deal continues to be negotiated in secret
MADISON, WI – Gov. Walker’s mismanaged Wisconsin Economic Development Corp. (WEDC) is scheduled for a closed-door meeting this morning to discuss the biggest taxpayer giveaway to a foreign corporation in U.S. history. Gov. Walker approved the $3 billion deal last month which exempts Foxconn from complying with state environmental regulations, a company with a history of making empty promises and jobs that never materialize.
“There should be nothing secretive about a deal that requires us to shell out billions of dollars from taxpayers that the state could take decades — if ever — to recoup,” said Martha Laning, Chair of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. “It should concern all of us who care about our state and want to grow jobs that the public is being kept in the dark about how its money is being spent. What is Governor Walker hiding?”
Laning noted that taxpayers will not see a return on the Foxconn investment for another 25 years and quite possibly much longer.
“Taxpayers deserve to be respected with a transparent process in spending $3 billion of our money,” Laning added. “We also deserve to be allowed to consider other ways that $3 billion could be spent that might create more jobs all across the state if given to Wisconsin companies.
“This is a corporate giveaway of taxpayer dollars on a scale we’ve never seen before. Instead of subsidizing a foreign corporation that has failed many times in the past to follow through on its job promises and has treated employees terribly. Imagine what we could do with $3 billion for Wisconsin’s jobs, economy, roads, broadband, public schools and infrastructure. Yet Governor Walker has chosen to give a tax break to a company with an extremely bad track record on jobs and follow-through.
“In respect, transparency and democratic governing, Wisconsinites deserve better.”
- Op Ed: Foxconn Shows Folly of Cheesehead Revolution - Dan Shafer - May 12th, 2021
- Foxconn Deal Doesn’t Reduce Local Government Risk - Corri Hess - May 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The True Costs of New Foxconn Deal - Bruce Murphy - Apr 28th, 2021
- The State of Politics: All Sides Won On New Foxconn Deal - Steven Walters - Apr 26th, 2021
- New Foxconn Deal Cuts Incentives By $2.77 Billion - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 20th, 2021
- Rep Hintz: Statement on Approval of Revised Foxconn Contract - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Apr 20th, 2021
- New Foxconn and WEDC Agreement Provides Flexibility and Clarity for Renewed Tech Investments in Science and Technology Park - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Announces Renegotiated Foxconn Contract to Save Taxpayers $2.77 Billion - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Statement on Foxconn Announcement - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Apr 19th, 2021
- Evers Announces New, Smaller Foxconn Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 19th, 2021
Read more about Foxconn Facility here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
Gallagher Votes Against Liz Cheney, Supports Republican Election Conspiracies
Johnson is Determined to Single-Handedly Hold Back COVID Recovery at Every Step