Walker Signs Vukmir Bill Battling Opioid Crisis
"This bill will push back against the destructive opioid crisis."
“This bill will push back against the destructive opioid crisis,” Vukmir said. “The heroin epidemic has caused the deaths of so many Wisconsinites. Law enforcement needs more tools to stop the inflow of drugs in our state.”
The new law provides grants to local law enforcement agencies to expand investigations into high level drug trafficking operations and creates new prosecutor positions to investigate and prosecute drug-traffickers. It also provides funding for preventative programing to at-risk juveniles and medical treatment to addicts prior to release from county jails.
“The two-pronged approach of this bill is key because it will restrict further illegal drugs from entering our state and provide those already battling with addiction greater access to recovery resources,” Vukmir said.
Vukmir is a member of the Governor’s Taskforce on Heroin and Opioid Abuse and has helped pass many of the Heroin & Opioid Prevention and Education bills in her role as Senate Health chairman.
- Milwaukee County Headed for Record Overdoses in 2020 - Edgar Mendez - Jun 19th, 2020
- Retaliating Against a Witness Who Provided Information to Law Enforcement About Neopit Woman’s Drug Dealing Leads to Prison Sentence - U.S. Department of Justice - Jun 16th, 2020
- Grant extension of $500K good news for MKE’s efforts to combat opioid epidemic - Ald. Michael Murphy - Jun 10th, 2020
- Baldwin Requests Funding to Study Opioid Crisis - Isiah Holmes - May 22nd, 2020
- U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin and Jeanne Shaheen Lead Colleagues in Calling for Increased Opioid Funding in Coronavirus Relief Package - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - May 19th, 2020
- Award-Winning Wisconsin Enhanced Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Changes Prescribing Culture, Drives Down Opioid and Controlled Substance Prescribing - Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services - May 11th, 2020
- Opioid Treatment Facility Sees Uptick During Pandemic - Isiah Holmes - Apr 9th, 2020
- Wisconsin Physician Agrees to Pay Financial Penalties to Resolve Allegations That He Prescribed Opioids Illegally and Violated False Claims Act - U.S. Department of Justice - Apr 5th, 2020
- County Overdose Deaths Up 50% in 2020 - Graham Kilmer - Apr 5th, 2020
- MKE County: Federal Grant Funds New Opioid Program - Graham Kilmer - Mar 4th, 2020
Read more about Opioid Crisis here
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Leah Vukmir
"Government doesn’t create jobs, but it can create a friendly environment for job growth and economic prosperity."
"I’m honored to have the Milwaukee Police Association’s endorsement."
Leah Praises President Trump For Addressing The Caravan Of Illegal Immigrants Heading Toward AmericaOct 24th, 2018 by State Sen. Leah Vukmir
"We could have criminals, drug lords and terrorists from the Middle East in this caravan..."