U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls for Action on Funding Gun Violence Research at CDC
Recent shootings across the U.S. underscore the need for action on this public health crisis
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin today joined 23 of her Senate colleagues in calling on leaders of the Appropriations Committee to include $50 million in funding for gun violence prevention research at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In the letter, the Senators point to the string of mass shootings that have occurred since they last wrote to urge funding for this vital research.
“We should embrace our responsibility to enact evidence-based solutions to the epidemic of gun violence,” write the Senators in their letter. “While limited research exists, policymakers, healthcare practitioners, and researchers lack comprehensive scientific information about the causes and characteristics of gun violence, which could inform the development of strategies to thwart future tragedies. This appropriations request will allow federally-funded public health researchers to revive a dormant field of study.”
As a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, Senator Baldwin has long supported funding for gun violence prevention research and has cosponsored legislation to provide $50 million in funding for the CDC to conduct or support research on firearms safety and gun violence prevention.
A copy of the letter is available here.
In addition to Baldwin, the letter was led by Senator Edward Markey (D-MA) and signed by Senators Bob Casey (D-PA), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Tina Smith (D-MN), Chris Murphy (D-CT), Jacky Rosen (D-NV), Mazie Hirono (D-HI), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Chris Coons (D-DE), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Angus King (I-ME), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Jack Reed (D-RI), Bob Menendez (D-NJ), Kamala Harris (D-CA), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Amy Klobuchar (D-MN).
- Gun Violence: Where personal agenda and personal responsibility separate - Tom Palzewicz - Jul 9th, 2020
- Nothing Changed After Molson Coors Shooting - Allison Stevens - Mar 6th, 2020
- Op Ed: Losing Sheila’s Smile - Jeff Spitzer-Resnick - Dec 31st, 2019
- Baldwin Helps Secure Federal Funding to Conduct Gun Violence Research For First Time in More Than 20 Years - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 19th, 2019
- How Gerrymandering Stalls Gun Safety - Robin Bravender - Dec 17th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls for Action on Funding Gun Violence Research at CDC - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Evers May Call Second Special Session on Guns - Laurel White - Nov 19th, 2019
- Rep. Anderson Addresses Republican Inaction on Gun Reform - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Nov 8th, 2019
- Rep. Considine Reacts to Legislature’s Inaction During Special Session - State Rep. Dave Considine - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republicans Dismiss Governor’s Special Session - Laurel White - Nov 8th, 2019
Read more about Gun Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Baldwin, Hoeven Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Alleviate Feed Shortages for Farmers and RanchersFeb 24th, 2021 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Senators’ Bill Provides Flexibility for Haying and Grazing of Cover Crops
Bipartisan Commission Will Start Work on U.S. Attorneys and Federal Judgeship