Teachers Union Slams Backdoor Raises to MPS Administrators: Union demands transparency and accountability
"While the MPS Administration showers money on MPS administrators, classroom educators, saddled with increasing demands, are asked to take a step back in pay this year."
MILWAUKEE – Jan. 3, 2018– The Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association (MTEA) President Kim Schroeder issued the following statement today in response to School Board Director Terry Falk’s report of over $100,000 in pay raises to MPS administrators not reported to the school board:
“Milwaukee educators are outraged to hear the news of excessive pay raises to some of the highest paid MPS administrators while our students suffer. It is unconscionable that the same individuals who crafted a budget increasing class sizes and reducing the number of school counselors, social workers, and librarians handed out hefty backdoor raises to the most highly paid administrators in the District.
“The largest pay raise reported was $17,600. There are educators in this district that won’t even make that in one year.
“While the MPS Administration showers money on MPS administrators, classroom educators, saddled with increasing demands, are asked to take a step back in pay this year. Educators won’t even receive pay increases to keep up with the cost of inflation.
“It is disturbing that these pay raises were given without board knowledge or approval. MPS educators demand transparency and accountability in all fiscal matters. MPS must do better for our schools and our students.”
For over 50 years, the Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association has been a champion for public education in Milwaukee. The Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association represents over 4,600 educators and support personnel who make Milwaukee’s public education system possible. MTEA, an affiliate of the National Education Association and is the largest educator local in Wisconsin.
Learn more at mtea.weac.org.
- Murphy’s Law: The MPS Agency Superintendents Hate - Bruce Murphy - Jan 16th, 2018
- Statement of Mark A. Sain, President of the Milwaukee Board of School Directors - President of the Milwaukee Board of School Directors Mark Sain - Jan 11th, 2018
- Back in the News: School Board Restricts MPS Raises - Bruce Murphy - Jan 10th, 2018
- Teachers Union Slams Backdoor Raises to MPS Administrators: Union demands transparency and accountability - Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association - Jan 3rd, 2018
- MPS Gives $100,000 in Pay Raises Without Board Approval - Terry Falk - Jan 3rd, 2018
Read more about School Board Vs Superintendent Driver here