Statement on Tuesday’s Federal Judicial Redistricting Hearing
MILWAUKEE— Sachin Chheda, director of the Fair Elections Project, issued the following statement in response to the Wednesday’s State Supreme Court Decision to take original jurisdiction on a redistricting case:
“This is a disappointing decision that ignores both the law and practical considerations. The State Supreme Court has no experience in these complex cases, and no procedure for the necessary fact-finding. Both the current and former Chief Justice have previously said so, and nothing has changed from their original concerns. It unfortunately looks like a politicization of the process, and that gives the people of Wisconsin even less confidence in the state high court.
“The reality is that whatever happens in state court still will almost certainly need to be reviewed in federal court, and this exponentially increases costs for the taxpayers, who will be paying for duplicative litigation in multiple venues. And this surely does not speed up the process.
“The best scenario is for the governor and legislature to agree on a fair redistricting, likely based on the People’s Maps Commission maps. Absent that, federal court is the appropriate venue to write maps for the next decade.”
- A Better Wisconsin Together Applauds the Release of the People’s Maps; Encourages Legislature to Enact Them Into Law - A Better Wisconsin Together - Oct 1st, 2021
- Commission Proposes Legislative Maps Reducing GOP Advantage - Bridgit Bowden - Oct 1st, 2021
- Data Wonk: Will 10 Years of Gerrymandering End? - Bruce Thompson - Sep 29th, 2021
- GOP Legislators Push To Continue Gerrymandering - Melanie Conklin and Henry Redman - Sep 29th, 2021
- Op Ed: State Supreme Court Wrong To Take On Redistricting Case - Matt Rothschild - Sep 26th, 2021
- GOP Legislators Seek US Supreme Court Help On Redistricting - Laurel White - Sep 25th, 2021
- Republican Legislators Propose Redistricting Bill - Ruth Conniff - Sep 24th, 2021
- State Supreme Court Will Hear Redistricting Case - Laurel White - Sep 22nd, 2021
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Takes WILL Redistricting Case - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Sep 22nd, 2021
- Statement on Tuesday’s Federal Judicial Redistricting Hearing - Fair Elections Project - Sep 22nd, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here