Startup Wisconsin Week kicks off next week
Second annual initiative includes 150+ events in 12 cities to assist startups, promote entrepreneurship
Nov. 1, 2018 — With more than 150 events happening around the state, Startup Wisconsin Week kicks off on Monday, Nov. 5, to celebrate the achievements of Wisconsin’s entrepreneurs and to promote efforts to provide additional support for startups and early-stage companies.
Sponsored in part by the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC), Startup Wisconsin Week will feature free events that will build momentum and celebrate high-growth entrepreneurship throughout the state. These events will include entrepreneurs, investors, business executives and community leaders sharing advice and resources in more than 150 events statewide.
The initiative aims to help entrepreneurs discover resources in their communities, highlight the importance of startups to the growth of the state’s economy and showcase innovations developed by Wisconsin startups.
Workshops, startup pitch competitions and “hacker” events, seminars, roundtable discussions, meetups, social activities and other events will take place in 12 Wisconsin cities: Appleton, Beloit, Eau Claire, Fond du Lac, Green Bay, Kenosha, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, Racine, Sheboygan and Stevens Point. (Click on each link to view a local schedule.) All events are free and open to the public.
Topics include raising startup capital, finding resources to start or grow a business, social media and branding, networking, how to pitch to investors, and marketing. There also will be special programs for veteran and women entrepreneurs.
The week will kick off on Nov. 5 with a “State of Milwaukee’s Startup Ecosystem” town hall meeting in Milwaukee in which leaders from startups, venture capital and economic development organizations will discuss the state of the city’s startup ecosystem. Also on that day, dozens of startups from the region’s top accelerators and entrepreneurship training programs will demonstrate their products at the Startup Milwaukee Showcase.
Other key events include:
- Milwaukee: NEWaukee Speaker Crawl on Nov. 7 is an interactive professional development program that will feature numerous simultaneous speakers who will discuss the important issues facing Milwaukee and provide tips for personal and professional growth.
- Racine: The Startup Racine Week Kickoff event on Nov. 5 will feature Mayor Cory Mason and leaders from city and county organizations who will help celebrate the city’s history of innovation and kick off a week of connecting, educating and celebrating entrepreneurs.
- Kenosha: Eisley Creative records will air a live episode of their “Be Original” podcast before a studio audience on Nov. 5. Guest Matt Cordio, founder of Startup Wisconsin, will discuss the statewide initiative.
- Madison: The Wisconsin Technology Council‘s Early Stage Symposium on Nov. 7-8. More than 600 people are expected to attend the conference, which will provide startups with a chance to engage with angel and venture investors from Wisconsin and beyond.
- Beloit: The Beloit Startup Showcase event on Nov. 5 will feature five companies located in the Irontek co-working space pitching and participating in Q&A. The event also will include networking, live music and tours of Irontek.
- Fond du Lac: The Imagination Network Award Ceremony and Entrepreneurial Showcase on Nov. 6 features a showcase of various entrepreneurial talent and the presentation of the second annual Award for Entrepreneurship, sponsored by Alliance Manufacturing.
For a complete list of events, visit StartupWI.org/events.
Startup Wisconsin Week is supported statewide by WEDC, Advocate Aurora Health, Concordia University Wisconsin, Husch Blackwell, Northwestern Mutual, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Answerport, Accelity Marketing, Headway, Wisconsin Inno and Newsradio 620 WTMJ.
About the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation
The Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) leads economic development efforts for the state by advancing and maximizing opportunities in Wisconsin for businesses, communities and people to thrive in a globally competitive environment. Working with more than 600 regional and local partners, WEDC develops and delivers solutions representative of a highly responsive and coordinated economic development network. Visit www.inwisconsin.com or follow WEDC on Twitter @InWisconsin to learn more.
About Startup Wisconsin
Startup Wisconsin is committed to advancing and developing Wisconsin’s tech and startup ecosystems through unique programming, collaborative partnerships and networking. The organization is driven by entrepreneurs and leaders throughout Wisconsin who are passionate about making a difference and creating a positive and lasting impact that will advance the state’s economy.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation
Wisconsin companies invited to take part in global trade venture to France and the United Kingdom in JuneMar 13th, 2019 by Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation
The week-long trade venture will include visits to Paris, London and Birmingham, which are markets of particular opportunity for Wisconsin companies.
City of Prairie du Chien receives $250,000 state grant to support development of The Waterfront HotelMar 7th, 2019 by Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation
WEDC investment to help fund construction of three-story downtown hotel