Response to Walker’s revisions last night on Lincoln Hills
"Walker simply must not be allowed to gloss over the neglect and inattention he has had both for Lincoln Hills, and more broadly for Wisconsin."
“The safety of the workers and the youth at Lincoln Hills is of top importance and we are very glad that Gov. Scott Walker is at last seeking to address this crisis. It’s also positive he is borrowing plans from the long list of solutions Democratic legislators have been putting forward over the years as conditions at the facility deteriorated and injuries piled up.
“For more than six years, pressure has mounted on Walker from the public, advocates, youths’ families, Democratic legislators and continuous news coverage–and he ignored them and failed to act until now when he is facing a tough re-election.
“Walker simply must not be allowed to gloss over the neglect and inattention he has had both for Lincoln Hills, and more broadly for Wisconsin. We have suffered as a state due to his lack of interest in our schools and students, our families in need of good jobs, our crumbling infrastructure and in the horrific conditions at this juvenile corrections facility that he refused to confront until this month.
“Wisconsin deserves a governor who will pay attention to our state for all four years of his or her term and will work every day to serve Wisconsin.”
- Evers Proposes $45.8 Million for Milwaukee Juvenile Facility - Gretchen Schuldt - Mar 1st, 2021
- MKE County: County Has Just 22 Inmates in Youth Prisons - Edgar Mendez - Feb 24th, 2021
- Evers Pushes Juvenile Justice System Changes - Corri Hess - Feb 18th, 2021
- Youth Justice Milwaukee Calls for Transformation of the Wisconsin Youth Justice System as the State Acknowledges it Will Not Meet the July 2021 Deadline to Close Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake Prisons - Youth Justice Milwaukee - Feb 8th, 2021
- Pandemic Causes Youth Prison Problems - Graham Kilmer - Jan 27th, 2021
- Can State Rescue Youth Corrections Plan? - Graham Kilmer - Jan 11th, 2021
- State Can’t Meet Deadline to Close Youth Prisons - Graham Kilmer - Dec 30th, 2020
- MKE County: Crowley Defers Youth Corrections Grant Until State Has Sustainable Plan - Graham Kilmer - Sep 16th, 2020
- State Blows Up County Youth Corrections Plan - Graham Kilmer - May 20th, 2020
- Youth Advocates Remain Committed to Closing Wisconsin Youth Prisons Following Monitor’s Report - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Mar 5th, 2020
Read more about Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
Mike Gallagher: Taxpayer Dollars Would Be Better Spent Buying Greenland Than Fixing Crumbling Roads, Ensuring Clean Drinking Water, Investing in Child CareApr 16th, 2021 by Democratic Party of Wisconsin
“Methinks [...] that you could buy Greenland, for that money [...] you could certainly install pull up bars in every airport in America, thereby solving the health crisis in America.”
Republican Politicians in the Legislature Continue To Waste Time With Irresponsible Political Games