Republicans Lose Lawyers Before Redistricting Starts
Judge voids contracts Republicans made with lawyers to represent them in expected redistricting legal battle
MADISON- Today, Dane County Circuit Court Judge Stephen Ehlke voided tax-payer funded contracts top Republican legislators made with private, Washington D.C. based law firms to represent them during the redistricting process. Judge Ehlke found that Assembly Speaker Robin Vos and Senate Majority Leader Devin LeMahieu were not authorized to do so. The contracts were expected to cost Wisconsin taxpayers more than $1 million.
Senator Melissa Agard (D-Madison) released the following statement:
“Playing games with hard-working Wisconsinites tax dollars is not a good idea. When Republicans continue to play these partisan games, Wisconsinites lose – the people we represent lose. Everyone in our state should be outraged that Republicans are, once again, attempting to stick taxpayers with the bill for their rigged maps, drawn behind closed doors. Remember, we – the people of Wisconsin – already paid for millions of dollars worth of attorneys’ fees for Republicans to shield their maps in 2011 that have been noted as the most gerrymandered in the country.
“While today’s ruling is positive, we have to stay vigilant every step of the way to ensure that the drawing of our legislative district maps is conducted fairly and with transparency and accountability.”
More about the Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts
- Data Wonk: Examining Wisconsin Gerrymandering By Analyzing 2022 Election Results - Bruce Thompson - Jan 13th, 2023
- DOJ Joins Coalition Urging Supreme Court Not to Weaken Voting Rights Act Protections in Alabama Redistricting Case - Wisconsin Department of Justice - Jul 25th, 2022
- The State of Politics: How Republicans Won Redistricting Fight - Steven Walters - Apr 25th, 2022
- Redistricting Update - Wisconsin Elections Commission - Apr 18th, 2022
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement Reacting to Wisconsin Supreme Court Decision Regarding Redistricting - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 15th, 2022
- Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional District Might Be Competitive Again - Shawn Johnson - Apr 15th, 2022
- Data Wonk: State’s Gerrymander Could Last Forever - Bruce Thompson - Mar 30th, 2022
- Op Ed: US Supreme Court Throws State Election Into Chaos - Ruth Conniff - Mar 27th, 2022
- Redistricting Case Returns to State Supreme Court - Shawn Johnson - Mar 25th, 2022
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement on U.S. Supreme Court Decision Regarding Redistricting - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 23rd, 2022
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Melissa Agard, Senate Democratic Leader
Senator Agard Statement on Retirement of Secretary of State Doug La FolletteMar 17th, 2023 by State Sen. Melissa Agard, Senate Democratic Leader
Governor Tony Evers Appoints Former State Treasurer Sarah Godlewski to Fill La Follette’s Vacancy
One thought on “Republicans Lose Lawyers Before Redistricting Starts”
This finding by Judge Ehlke emphasizes the importance of our judicial branch and the importance of electing judges with high marks for fairness and impartiality. The actions of Speaker Vos and Senate Majority Leader LeMahieu are testing our democratic system, and I personally have been learning more about our system by these tests.
Thank you, Senator Agard and Urban Milwaukee, for following these proceedings. I hope there are other Wisconsinites who are learning the same lessons.