Republican Bill Would Put Guns in Wisconsin Schools
Latest Scheme Would Put Guns in Private Schools, Companion to Public School Version Co-authored by 50 Wisconsin Republicans
MADISON, Wis. — Wisconsin Republicans are introducing a second bill aimed at putting guns into K-12 schools in the state, the latest version aimed at private schools. A measure which would do the functional equivalent for public schools was introduced last year and has co-sponsorship of 50 legislative Republicans.
“The solution to guns in schools is not putting guns in schools,” said Joanna Beilman-Dulin, One Wisconsin Now Research Director. “While the nation still grieves over another mass school shooting, Wisconsin Republicans are showing the country they are squarely in the pocket of the National Rifle Association.”
The latest pro-gun measure was introduced by GOP Rep. Jesse Kremer, who has spent his short legislative career serving the National Rifle Association’s agenda, attempting to legislate safe spaces for racists speaking on University of Wisconsin campuses, and policing the bathrooms of elementary and high school students.
“Anyone who is serious about stopping gun violence in our schools should condemn this legislation immediately,” said Beilman-Dulin. “Guns have no place in schools, public or private.”
A copy of the draft legislation is available here.
One Wisconsin Now is a statewide communications network specializing in effective earned media and online organizing to advance progressive leadership and values.
- Bipartisan legislation a positive step forward for gun reform - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - May 17th, 2021
- Bipartisan Bill Bans Guns For Those Convicted of Domestic Violence - Erik Gunn - May 14th, 2021
- Club Midtown isn’t a thing - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - May 5th, 2021
- County Executive David Crowley Statement on Recent Acts of Gun Violence - County Executive David Crowley - May 4th, 2021
- Republicans Continue to Show their True Colors with Upcoming Budget Plans: The Time for Action is Now - State Sen. Melissa Agard - May 3rd, 2021
- Continued gun violence underscores the need for change - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - May 3rd, 2021
- Senator Agard: Statement on Shooting Tragedy at the Oneida Casino Complex - State Sen. Melissa Agard - May 2nd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement Regarding Shooting at Oneida Casino Complex - Gov. Tony Evers - May 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Mass Shootings Are Not Inevitable - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Apr 30th, 2021
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Knoxville, TN - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Apr 12th, 2021
Read more about Gun Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by One Wisconsin Now
State Supreme Court Candidate Co-Authored Column Opposing Efforts to Clean Up Court Campaigns
Over $14,000 from Board Members of Right-Wing Legal Group to State Court Justice’s Campaign
Dan Kelly Supporters Want Court Action to Allow Enforcement of Abortion Ban Dating to 19th Century