Rep. Spreitzer Supports Gov. Evers’s Redistricting Reform
"Gerrymandering has undermined our state’s democracy for too long."
“Gerrymandering has undermined our state’s democracy for too long. It has allowed a group of legislators – supported only by a rigged map and a minority of voters – to execute a radical agenda that has hurt families, wasted taxpayer dollars, and taken our state backward. Voters rejected that agenda last November when they elected Governor Evers, but their will was thwarted by unconstitutional rigged maps that allowed this ‘minority majority’ to cling to power.”
In 2015, Rep. Spreitzer was the lead author of AB 328, which would have removed redistricting authority from politicians and assigned it to a non-partisan commission. Legislative Republicans refused to hold even a single hearing on the bill and did not allow it to come to the floor of the State Assembly for debate. Similar legislation has been re-introduced by newly elected Democratic State Representatives in each successive session.
“The people of Wisconsin have had their voices stolen from the Wisconsin State Legislature, where they are intended to guide us the most. I have fought back against this blatant partisan gerrymandering for years, and I am heartened to see Governor Evers championing our struggle for fair, nonpartisan redistricting in our state. Enough is enough – we need fair maps in Wisconsin.”
- 8 More Counties Plan Referendum on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Jun 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Jensen Tries to Pre-Rig Redistricting - Matt Rothschild - Jun 9th, 2020
- WILL Wants WI Supreme Court to Take Redistricting Cases First - Shawn Johnson - Jun 4th, 2020
- Back in the News: Scott Walker Loses Again - Bruce Murphy - Apr 29th, 2020
- 51 of 72 Counties Now Back Fair Maps - Matt Rothschild - Apr 15th, 2020
- 23 Advisory Votes on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Mar 25th, 2020
- City Hall: Ballots Won’t Have Duplicate Gerrymandering Questions - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 27th, 2020
- Did Gerrymandering Kill Medicaid Expansion? - Erik Gunn - Feb 25th, 2020
- Data Wonk: The Republicans’ Gerrymander Scheme - Bruce Thompson - Feb 5th, 2020
- The State of Politics: Redistricting Fight Is One Year Away - Steven Walters - Feb 3rd, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Mark Spreitzer
"As an out gay man, I am proud to stand by my fellow LGBT legislators today to present the Equality Agenda in honor of Pride Month."
“Governor Evers is leading Wisconsin into a new era of bipartisanship."
"Less than one month after the 2018 November elections, a lame duck session fundamentally changed the balance of power in Wisconsin state government."