Rep. Spreitzer Supports Gov. Evers’s Redistricting Reform
"Gerrymandering has undermined our state’s democracy for too long."
“Gerrymandering has undermined our state’s democracy for too long. It has allowed a group of legislators – supported only by a rigged map and a minority of voters – to execute a radical agenda that has hurt families, wasted taxpayer dollars, and taken our state backward. Voters rejected that agenda last November when they elected Governor Evers, but their will was thwarted by unconstitutional rigged maps that allowed this ‘minority majority’ to cling to power.”
In 2015, Rep. Spreitzer was the lead author of AB 328, which would have removed redistricting authority from politicians and assigned it to a non-partisan commission. Legislative Republicans refused to hold even a single hearing on the bill and did not allow it to come to the floor of the State Assembly for debate. Similar legislation has been re-introduced by newly elected Democratic State Representatives in each successive session.
“The people of Wisconsin have had their voices stolen from the Wisconsin State Legislature, where they are intended to guide us the most. I have fought back against this blatant partisan gerrymandering for years, and I am heartened to see Governor Evers championing our struggle for fair, nonpartisan redistricting in our state. Enough is enough – we need fair maps in Wisconsin.”
- Republicans Lose Lawyers Before Redistricting Starts - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 29th, 2021
- Judge Prohibits Republicans Using Private Lawyers for Redistricting - Shawn Johnson - Apr 29th, 2021
- Op Ed: How Gerrymandered Are We? - Kevin Baas - Apr 29th, 2021
- Murphy’s Laws: The New Gerrymandering Scheme - Bruce Murphy - Apr 27th, 2021
- Evers Redistricting Panel Seeks ‘Partisan Fairness’ - Shawn Johnson - Apr 17th, 2021
- Law Forward’s “Redistricting 101” Provides Much-needed Overview of Critical but Complicated Process - Law Forward - Apr 15th, 2021
- Op Ed: Wisconsin Needs Fair Maps - Ruth Conniff - Apr 1st, 2021
- Your Right to Know: Redistricting Shouldn’t Be Done In Secret - Matthew DeFour - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Redistricting conversation continues on virtual “On the Issues,” Feb. 11 - Marquette University - Feb 10th, 2021
- Op Ed: Redistricting Should Consider Native Americans - Tehassi Hill - Feb 9th, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Mark Spreitzer
"As an out gay man, I am proud to stand by my fellow LGBT legislators today to present the Equality Agenda in honor of Pride Month."
“Governor Evers is leading Wisconsin into a new era of bipartisanship."
"Less than one month after the 2018 November elections, a lame duck session fundamentally changed the balance of power in Wisconsin state government."