Renters must submit key document to landlord to avoid eviction
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey September 30, 2020
If you are a renter and you want to be covered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) COVID-19 moratorium on evictions, it has been brought to my attention that you must first submit a document to your landlord.
Renters can go to https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/declaration-form.pdf and complete the form, which must then be presented to the landlord. Evictions for failure to pay rent are legal if the tenants do not sign a declaration, despite the CDC moratorium.
Please remember that there are activities and violations that will not protect renters from being evicted – such as things that threaten the health and safety of neighbors and the community, including nuisance and criminal activities.
I strongly urge renters to take action to protect themselves from eviction as soon as possible.
Don’t wait and find out that you were too late!
- New City Health Order Limits Gatherings - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 26th, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4.2 Order Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Oct 26th, 2020
- WI Daily: 2,883 New COVID-19 Cases, Record 1,350 People Actively Hopspitalized - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 26th, 2020
- WI Daily: 3,626 New COVID-19 Cases, Another Active Hospitalization Record High - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 25th, 2020
- WI Daily: Milwaukee County Falls to 14th Worst Outbreak, Even As Cases Accelerate - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 24th, 2020
- Appeals Court Blocks State Restaurant, Bar Rules - Shawn Johnson - Oct 24th, 2020
- Milwaukee Unemployment at 8.4% - Graham Kilmer - Oct 23rd, 2020
- WI Daily: Over 10,000 Wisconsin Residents Have Been Hospitalized With COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 23rd, 2020
- Election Officials Can’t Require Masks At Polls - Laurel White - Oct 23rd, 2020
- WILL Asks Judge to Decide on Merits in Lawsuit Challenging Gov. Evers’s Emergency Declarations - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Oct 23rd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Khalif Rainey
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey October 14, 2020