Renters must submit key document to landlord to avoid eviction
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey September 30, 2020
If you are a renter and you want to be covered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) COVID-19 moratorium on evictions, it has been brought to my attention that you must first submit a document to your landlord.
Renters can go to https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/declaration-form.pdf and complete the form, which must then be presented to the landlord. Evictions for failure to pay rent are legal if the tenants do not sign a declaration, despite the CDC moratorium.
Please remember that there are activities and violations that will not protect renters from being evicted – such as things that threaten the health and safety of neighbors and the community, including nuisance and criminal activities.
I strongly urge renters to take action to protect themselves from eviction as soon as possible.
Don’t wait and find out that you were too late!
- WI Daily: 539 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 3rd, 2021
- City Aims To Vaccinate Every Educator In Two Weeks - Graham Kilmer - Mar 3rd, 2021
- NEW: Senator Johnson Plans to Delay COVID Relief Through Senate Stunt - Opportunity Wisconsin - Mar 3rd, 2021
- Evers Says Schools May Need Summer Classes - Shawn Johnson - Mar 3rd, 2021
- City Hires Private Firm To Track COVID-19 Violations - Graham Kilmer - Mar 3rd, 2021
- Racine Prison Quarantines Entire Housing Unit - Isiah Holmes - Mar 3rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 324 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 2nd, 2021
- 34 Vaccine Doses Spoil at Wisconsin Center - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 2nd, 2021
- 8.7% of State Now Fully Vaccinated - Graham Kilmer - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Statement from the Milwaukee Health Department - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Mar 2nd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Khalif Rainey
Statement of Alderman Khalif J. Rainey December 21, 2020