Paul Ryan Challenger Opposes $3 Billion Corporate Handout to Foxconn
WI-01 Candidate, Cathy Myers, Rejects Foxconn Deal Due to Cost, Transparency, and Environmental Concerns
Democratic Congressional Candidate Cathy Myers, who is challenging Speaker Ryan to represent Wisconsin’s First Congressional District, announced her opposition to the $3 billion Foxconn proposal today.
“We need jobs, but not at this price. The $3 billion public handout to a foreign corporation is unprecedented and we need legitimate legislative oversight to ensure that this deal will not cripple our economy for the next generation,” Myers said.
After expressing her initial concerns about the $3 billion public subsidy in a live video on August 3, 2017, Cathy Myers has officially opposed the deal with the first vote scheduled for 3 PM today in the Wisconsin Assembly Committee on Jobs and the Economy.
“We must protect Lake Michigan. This deal exempts Foxconn from completing a required environmental impact study and from other reasonable environmental rules meant to protect our cherished natural resources and the local residents that would be affected by this development,” Myers continued.
Cathy Myers is the only candidate running to represent WI-01 that has publicly opposed the deal.
Cathy for Congress
- State Reviewing Foxconn Jobs Report - Erik Gunn - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Foxconn Hosts Smart Manufacturing Web Conference, Launches iAI Institute - Foxconn Technology Group - Jul 10th, 2020
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Cathy Myers
Myers calls on Bryce to account for campaign funds that appear to have been used to pay off his personal debt
Myers’ plan calls for $15 minimum wage, protecting small businesses by breaking up monopolies, and a universal basic income