MPS’ rapid COVID-19 response, Educators’ commitment to students show crucial role public schools play in Milwaukee Community
MILWAUKEE – Governor Evers acted last Friday to close all Wisconsin schools beginning at 5pm on Wednesday, March 18. MPS Superintendent Keith Posley announced shortly after that Milwaukee Public Schools would be closing beginning Monday, March 16. These efforts will be crucial to slowing and eventually stopping the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).
MTEA leadership and members will continue to work together with MPS throughout this crisis to do the best for our students and families. We want to recognize the incredible work being done by educators in this district during a crisis. Since the MPS closure began, MTEA educators have gone above and beyond to maintain important connections with their students. Below are a few examples of MTEA members doing everything possible for their students:
Forest Home teacher Melissa Patterson delivered meals to the great grandmother of an MPS student who was unable to leave her house.
MTEA also applauds the MPS Superintendent and Board for their leadership in a time of crisis, ensuring that students have access to academic resources during the shutdown and taking immediate responsibility for providing meals to thousands of students and families. This is an indispensable service no other unit of local government has stepped up to provide; a service that would not be possible without MPS workers who have volunteered to staff meal distribution sites during the closure.
The work public school workers do, and the role the district is playing in food distribution efforts on behalf of our students, highlights why it is so important now more than ever that we expand what we can do for our students by voting YES for MPS in the spring election. Early voting in person or via mail-in absentee ballot are open NOW.
- WI Daily: Wisconsin Reports Biggest One-Day COVID-19 Case Increase - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Beware of Contact Tracing Scams - Bridgit Bowden - Jul 4th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Spread Keeps Accelerating in Wisconsin - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Moves Backward In Fight Against COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- State Unemployment Insurance System Failing Many - Bram Sable-Smith - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Racial Disparities Found in Safer-At-Home Arrests - Edgar Mendez - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Johnson Discusses Small Business Recovery at Axios Virtual Event - U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson - Jul 3rd, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4 Assessment Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 3rd, 2020
- WI Daily: 14-Day Positive Case Rate Continues Upward Climb - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- City Hall: What Should Or Shouldn’t Be in Milwaukee Mask Mandate? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here