Matt Flynn Makes Statement on the Corrupt Handling of the Foxconn Contract by Walker’s WEDC
Flynn says he’s not surprised there are major problems with the handling of the contract, given WEDC’s history of mismanagement and corruption
(Milwaukee) – Wisconsin gubernatorial candidate Matt Flynn today responded to news that the contract for the disastrous Foxconn deal will remain a secret until it is signed by the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC).
“I have opposed this deal from the very beginning. Not only does it fail to provide any guarantees as to the number of jobs it will provide or protections for taxpayers, it exempts Foxconn from many of the environmental protections that Wisconsin companies have to follow. It’s crony capitalism at its worst, putting a foreign corporation before our own small businesses and taxpayers.
“Wisconsinites deserve better of their state government and of their Governor. Taxpayers should be protected from corruption.”
This week, Wisconsin state Senator Tim Carpenter formally requested that the WEDC present the entire Foxconn contract to the board after a problem characterized as a “nuclear bomb” was found in the staff underwriting provided. According to WEDC spokesman Mark Maley, it’s corporate policy to provide a “staff review” of contracts to board members, rather than the full contract. Yesterday, WEDC Secretary Mark Hogan told state lawmakers he would not reconsider publicly disclosing Foxconn contract terms to the public before it is signed.
Matt Flynn is a Navy veteran, attorney, and former Chair of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. He attended law school at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
For additional information, visit www.ForwardWithFlynn.com.
Forward with Flynn
- Op Ed: Foxconn Shows Folly of Cheesehead Revolution - Dan Shafer - May 12th, 2021
- Foxconn Deal Doesn’t Reduce Local Government Risk - Corri Hess - May 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The True Costs of New Foxconn Deal - Bruce Murphy - Apr 28th, 2021
- The State of Politics: All Sides Won On New Foxconn Deal - Steven Walters - Apr 26th, 2021
- New Foxconn Deal Cuts Incentives By $2.77 Billion - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 20th, 2021
- Rep Hintz: Statement on Approval of Revised Foxconn Contract - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Apr 20th, 2021
- New Foxconn and WEDC Agreement Provides Flexibility and Clarity for Renewed Tech Investments in Science and Technology Park - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Announces Renegotiated Foxconn Contract to Save Taxpayers $2.77 Billion - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Statement on Foxconn Announcement - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Apr 19th, 2021
- Evers Announces New, Smaller Foxconn Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 19th, 2021
Read more about Foxconn Facility here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Matt Flynn
"Philanthropic organizations in Wisconsin support tens of thousands of people every year."
Retired Archbishop Rembert Weakland confirmed that neither Flynn nor any lawyers were involved in transfers of abusive priests.
Democratic challenger has raised nearly $700,000 since the start of the campaign