Mahlon Mitchell Statement on the Release of Body Cam Footage Involving Sterling Brown
"As a first responder, I believe there are no excuses for the violent tactics used against Sterling Brown."
“As a first responder, I believe there are no excuses for the violent tactics used against Sterling Brown. I work every day with the men and women in law enforcement to keep our communities safe, and I think most are people of good character. But, as first responders, we must be able to call out unacceptable behavior when we see it.
The event is not an isolated incident, but indicative of a desperate need for change. We must rethink criminal justice from the ground up; from everyday practices on the street, to our incarceration rate, bail process, and our recidivism rate.
In Sterling Brown we see a yet another member of our community fall victim to an unjust system, and we know that our son, our brother, our friend, or our neighbor might be next. The cycle must stop. Our lives and our communities demand that we come together with law enforcement and build a more just system for all.”
Mahlon Mitchell for Wisconsin
More about the Sterling Brown Incident
- City Attorney candidate Tearman Spencer releases statement on Sterling Brown case - Tearman Spencer - Oct 11th, 2019
- City Hall: Council Okays Settlement to Sterling Brown - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 4th, 2019
- City Attorney Shifts Blame to Sterling Brown - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 29th, 2018
- Joint Statement on the Sterling Brown case - Milwaukee Common Council - Aug 29th, 2018
- Op Ed: Jim Crow and Urban America - Dr. Robert S. Smith - Jun 25th, 2018
- Brown Files Suit Against Milwaukee Police - Ximena Conde - Jun 19th, 2018
- Chief Won’t Name Cops Who Tased Brown - Ximena Conde - May 25th, 2018
- Sterling Brown incident authenticates predictions from years past - Ald. Tony Zielinski - May 25th, 2018
- Mahlon Mitchell Statement on the Release of Body Cam Footage Involving Sterling Brown - Mahlon Mitchell - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Moore Omokunde Statement on Sterling Brown Video - Sup. Supreme Moore Omokunde - May 24th, 2018
- City Hall: Police Reform Needed, Say Council Members - Jeramey Jannene - May 24th, 2018
- Rep. Bowen: Statement on release of bodycam footage of Sterling Brown - State Rep. David Bowen - May 24th, 2018
- Sterling Brown case leaves us with many unanswered questions - Ald. Bob Donovan - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Nicholson Statement on Sterling Brown Incident - Sup. Marcelia Nicholson - May 24th, 2018
- Gov. Scott Walker Quick to Weigh in on NFL Player Protests, Silent on Release of Footage Showing Authorities Assaulting Milwaukee Buck Sterling Brown - One Wisconsin Now - May 24th, 2018
- Murphy’s Law: Police Video Gets National Attention - Bruce Murphy - May 24th, 2018
- Black Leaders Organizing for Communities (BLOC) calls for accountability for officers involved in the Sterling Brown video - Black Leaders Organizing for Communities - May 23rd, 2018
- Bucks Organization Statement on Sterling Brown - Milwaukee Bucks - May 23rd, 2018
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Mahlon Mitchell
"Walker continues to pay us lip service with hollow political stunts instead of actually governing."
"Scott Walker’s fake outrage is as out of step as his priorities."
Today’s endorsement joins Mahlon Mitchell’s growing list of support.