Kelda Roys Releases Video Featuring Homeowners to be Evicted by Foxconn
Roys stands in solidarity with Mount Pleasant Homeowners
MADISON, WI — Today, Democratic gubernatorial candidate Kelda Roys released a video highlighting the story of Kimberly and James Mahoney, two Mount Pleasant homeowners, and their daughter, all of whom are being threatened with eviction to make way for the Foxconn plant. The video can be viewed here, and a transcript has been provided at the end of this release.
Kelda Roys released the following statement about the video:
“Foxconn is costing our state far too much. In addition to the massive fiscal and environmental burdens Wisconsinites must bear, families are being forced from their homes to make way for the plant. Kim and Jim Mahoney are one such family. They spent over nine years designing and building their dream home. Now the Mahoneys are facing threats of eviction after living in their new home for less than two years.
“The Mahoneys deserve better, and so does the rest of Wisconsin.”
Kimberly Mahoney: This is Reese’s room. It was two bedrooms, but we combined it into one. We learned about the Foxconn project and that it was going to directly impact us on her 12th birthday.
[Kim and her family are being forced from their home to make way for the Foxconn plant.]
Kimberly Mahoney: We told her and she thought I was kidding at first and then she just started bawling. I know it’s been hard on her, and to not know, I mean, we don’t know where we’re going to live. It’s not like we are going to be homeless, but will we get what we have now that we worked so hard for?
Kelda Roys: I’m Kelda Roys and I’m a Democratic candidate for governor, but I’m also an attorney and for the last five years my company OpenHomes has helped hundreds of Wisconsinites find their dream homes. This is a very personal issue for me and it’s hard to imagine something that has a closer connection to our idea of the American Dream. Our governor was so desperate to get this deal done so that he could get some good headlines, that he totally overlooked the real human impact to families like Kim and John who have spent years planning and building their dream homes and are now being forced out. This is not how responsible leaders make decisions. You don’t negotiate a contract on the back of a napkin and certainly not one like this because when you do, things are going to go wrong. We need a leader who is going to respond to the concerns and needs of every Wisconsinite.
Roys is a small business owner, attorney, former state representative, past head of NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin, mom, and step mom who has been standing up for women and families throughout her career. In the Assembly, she stood out as an influential and effective lawmaker, delivering results for working families and helping lead the opposition to Governor Scott Walker’s divisive agenda. As a parent of four girls, Roys will fight for paid family leave, affordable childcare, great schools, and quality healthcare for all. In a year in which Wisconsin voters are ready for change, Kelda Roys provides the clearest contrast to Scott Walker.
Kelda for Governor
- Murphy’s Law: How Kleefisch Failed On Foxconn - Bruce Murphy - Sep 13th, 2021
- Back in the News: Fisker Wants State Law Changed For Potential Foxconn Car Factory - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Wants a New Subsidy? - Bruce Murphy - Jul 26th, 2021
- Village Board Unanimously Votes to Blight Local Business for Foxconn - A Better Mt. Pleasant - Jul 13th, 2021
- Op Ed: EPA Overrules Pruitt-Walker Smog Increases - James Rowen - Jun 7th, 2021
- Village Paid Foxconn Project Manager Nearly $1 Million - Corri Hess - May 28th, 2021
- Op Ed: Foxconn Shows Folly of Cheesehead Revolution - Dan Shafer - May 12th, 2021
- Foxconn Deal Doesn’t Reduce Local Government Risk - Corri Hess - May 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The True Costs of New Foxconn Deal - Bruce Murphy - Apr 28th, 2021
- The State of Politics: All Sides Won On New Foxconn Deal - Steven Walters - Apr 26th, 2021
Read more about Foxconn Facility here
Recent Press Releases by Kelda Roys
"I’m thrilled to have earned the endorsements of so many local elected officials throughout our great state."
“I’m honored to have earned the support of so many well-respected elected officials, from Superior to Beloit.”