Gov. Evers Announces $32 Million to Support COVID-19 Testing at UW Campuses
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers today announced more than $32 million in financial assistance to the University of Wisconsin (UW) System and the University of Wisconsin-Madison as they prepare to welcome students back to campus this fall. The $32 million announced today comes in addition to the $18.9 million the governor allocated from Wisconsin’s portion of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act to UW System campuses and the $95.6 million UW System institutions received directly through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund under the CARES Act.
“As campuses across the UW System prepare to have students return to campus, it is critically important that every campus has the resources it needs to help keep our students safe,” said Gov. Evers. “The COVID-19 pandemic brings great uncertainty and having robust testing efforts is one of the most important tools we have to help box in this virus and make sure our students stay healthy and safe.”
“Gov. Evers’ commitment to providing the resources for strong testing measures throughout the UW System will help us safely reopen our campuses this fall for students, faculty, staff, and our university communities,” said interim UW System President Tommy Thompson.
Similarly, UW-Madison, which previously announced its COVID-19 testing plan, will receive $8.3 million from Wisconsin’s CARES Act allocation for testing, equipment, staff, and personal protective equipment to support their efforts to test symptomatic individuals, those who have had close contact with symptomatic individuals, and students living in residence halls. State support will help UW-Madison purchase 134,000 tests.
- LISTEN: Ron Johnson Discourages Constituents From Getting Vaccinated - American Bridge 21st Century - Apr 23rd, 2021
- Wisconsin Reaches 4 Million COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Administered - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Apr 22nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 732 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 22nd, 2021
- Transportation: Daily Service Returns to Amtrak’s Milwaukee-Chicago Line - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 22nd, 2021
- DHS Transitions to VaccineFinder - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 22nd, 2021
- President Larry Miller and Vice President Tony Báez Oppose Standardized Testing During the Pandemic - Milwaukee Board of School Directors - Apr 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 626 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 21st, 2021
- New State COVID-19 Testing For Schools - Erik Gunn - Apr 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 805 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Announces $50 Million to Support Kids’ Learning Opportunities, Mental Health - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers
Participating businesses to receive $5,000; grant program to potentially help approximately 84,000 Wisconsin small businesses
Executive order pledges state to plant 75 million trees by 2030