Disappointing budget increases taxes, relies on sales tax pipe dream
Statement of Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd September 24, 2019
To ignore the demands for quality and timely constituent services will eventually result in consequences. To believe that the only way to increase our city’s revenues is to rely on a sales tax that has already been confirmed as dead on arrival is irresponsible.
The Mayor has failed, yet again, to provide leadership for making tough decisions that will produce a sustainable and reliable source of revenue that will relieve our already financially burdened, tax-paying residents.
The Mayor’s budget proposes a levy increase of $52 for the average homeowner; homeowners in my district are projected to pay an increase of up to $72. This increase in property taxes does not factor in the costs to improve constituent services such as snow removal, garbage pickup, recycling, forestry services, repairing our aging infrastructure, or maintaining city-owned properties.
Shame on us if we continue to allow for more cuts to public services that our tax-paying citizens rely on to improve their overall quality of life.
More about the 2020 Milwaukee Budget
- Mayor Barrett’s 2020 Budget cuts 60 police officers – and that’s the good news - Ald. Bob Donovan - Oct 10th, 2019
- City Hall: State Republican Lawmakers Oppose Barrett’s Budget - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 7th, 2019
- Budget Deliberations Should Focus on Using the People’s Dollars to Improve and Save Lives - Ald. Milele Coggs - Oct 4th, 2019
- The challenges and opportunities of the 2020 city budget - Common Council President Ashanti Hamilton - Sep 30th, 2019
- Disappointing budget increases taxes, relies on sales tax pipe dream - Ald. Nikiya Dodd - Sep 24th, 2019
- Mayor’s budget cuts deep, fall short - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Sep 24th, 2019
- City Hall: Mayor’s Budget Cuts Cops and Property Tax Rate - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 24th, 2019
- City Hall: Tax Hike Would Give City $50 Million Per Year - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 9th, 2019
- City Hall: Barrett Kicks Off 2020 Budget Process - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 16th, 2019
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Nikiya Dodd
Statement of Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd September 23, 2019
Move paves way for new industrial facility
"I am so humbled to have earned the endorsement of Women's March WI."