Disappointing budget increases taxes, relies on sales tax pipe dream
Statement of Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd September 24, 2019
To ignore the demands for quality and timely constituent services will eventually result in consequences. To believe that the only way to increase our city’s revenues is to rely on a sales tax that has already been confirmed as dead on arrival is irresponsible.
The Mayor has failed, yet again, to provide leadership for making tough decisions that will produce a sustainable and reliable source of revenue that will relieve our already financially burdened, tax-paying residents.
The Mayor’s budget proposes a levy increase of $52 for the average homeowner; homeowners in my district are projected to pay an increase of up to $72. This increase in property taxes does not factor in the costs to improve constituent services such as snow removal, garbage pickup, recycling, forestry services, repairing our aging infrastructure, or maintaining city-owned properties.
Shame on us if we continue to allow for more cuts to public services that our tax-paying citizens rely on to improve their overall quality of life.
- City Hall: Council Overrides Every Barrett Veto - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 26th, 2019
- City Hall: Barrett Issues 8 Budget Vetoes - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 19th, 2019
- This afternoon the City of Milwaukee just got less safe - Ald. Bob Donovan - Nov 8th, 2019
- City Hall: Council Cuts Police, Adopts $1.6 Billion Budget - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 8th, 2019
- City Hall: Proposal Uses Lead Abatement Funds for Marketing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 7th, 2019
- Transportation: Street Safety Funding Passes Committee - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 6th, 2019
- Omnibus budget amendment supports birthing moms pilot, violence interrupters, participatory budget initiative and more - Ald. Milele Coggs - Nov 1st, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Proposal Would Fund Emergency Housing - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 31st, 2019
- City Hall: Proposal Gives Residents a Basic Income - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 31st, 2019
- City Hall: Community Outpouring Over City Budget - Isiah Holmes - Oct 14th, 2019
Read more about 2020 Milwaukee Budget here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Nikiya Dodd
Statement of Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd September 23, 2019
Move paves way for new industrial facility