Council approves transparency file for receipt and distribution of ARPA funds
Today the Common Council adopted amended legislation designed to provide greater transparency and inclusiveness in the city’s receipt and distribution of historic federal coronavirus relief funds. The file (#201571) was authored by Finance and Personnel Committee Chair Alderman Michael J. Murphy, and also co-sponsored by Common Council President Cavalier Johnson.
The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) of 2021 includes more than $400 million for the City of Milwaukee. To promote transparency in the allocation of those funds, Alderman Murphy and President Johnson brought forth legislation to create a public-facing dashboard that will track how and where ARPA funds are distributed.
“I greatly appreciate the support of my colleagues on this important file, as we are dealing with a substantial opportunity which could correct some of the damage that has been caused by COVID-19 over the past year,” Alderman Murphy said. “The $405 million we will receive as part of the American Rescue Plan Act needs to be utilized to the best of our abilities, and I am elated that we have now moved one step closer to getting these funds equitably distributed.”
“As officials discuss the best uses for these dollars it is vital that residents provide their priorities and also have information on how, where and when they can see an impact. We should be striving for maximum transparency, and I believe this legislation helps accomplish that goal,” said Alderman Murphy.
“Distributing these funds in the most transparent way possible is key for people to understand this process, and trust that we are doing everything we can to help them through this crisis,” President Johnson said.
An amendment on the public survey was approved to require the Department of Administration to work closely with the City Clerk’s Office in formulating survey questions. That amendment was brought forth by Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic.
“I look forward to hearing from every Milwaukeean about how they want us to rebuild our city so it’s stronger than it was before the pandemic and so all of us can thrive,” Alderwoman Dimitrijevic said.
Additionally, an amendment from Alderman Russell W. Stamper, II, was also approved. That amendment requires the Department of Administration to solicit ARPA allocation and expenditure priorities from Council members, to compile responses provided by Council members, and provide the compiled responses to City departments to assist departments in developing their own requests for ARPA funding.
Additional co-sponsors of file #201571 are: Alderwoman Dimitrijevic, Alderman Stamper, Alderwoman Coggs, Alderman Ashanti Hamilton, Alderman José G. Pérez, Alderwoman Chantia Lewis, Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd, Alderman Mark A. Borkowski, Alderman Khalif J. Rainey, Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa, Alderman Nik Kovac and Alderman Scott Spiker.
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- A Mix of Speed Hump and Crosswalk, New Street Feature All About Safety - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 30th, 2023
- Transportation: Construction Underway on Traffic Calming Projects - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 12th, 2022
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Seeking Affordable Housing Developers Who Need Funding - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 25th, 2022
- Transportation: Milwaukee Seeks Partners On Project Lowering Speed Limits - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 1st, 2022
- City Hall: ARPA Funds Can’t Plug City Budget Hole - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 15th, 2022
- Plats and Parcels: City Seeks Firms To Transform Vacant Homes - Jeramey Jannene - May 1st, 2022
- Transportation: DPW Plans Surge of Traffic-Calming Bump Outs - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 26th, 2022
- City Hall: Federal Grant Could Help Stave Off 1,300 Layoffs - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 14th, 2022
- Transportation: DPW Unveils 16 Traffic Calming Projects - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 2nd, 2021
- City Hall: Committee Recommends Few Budget Amendments - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 28th, 2021
Read more about American Rescue Plan Act here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Michael Murphy
Statement of Alderman Michael J. Murphy July 3, 2023