Common Council Statement on Flynn Retirement
Statement from the Common Council - January 8th, 2018
With today’s announcement that Chief Edward A. Flynn will soon leave the department, we wanted to express our strong support for the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners as it begins the difficult task of selecting the new chief.
This body, designed over a century ago to be a firewall against political interference in the operation of the fire and police departments, is being called to serve at a difficult moment in this City’s history. The authority of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners in this matter is established by state statute and the Milwaukee Code of Ordinances. We support whatever process its membership chooses to pursue.
Among many matters, the community will be watching closely to see if the next chief implements the recommendations of the draft Collaborative Reform Report prepared by the Department of Justice. Only a chief selected in a broadly-based, open, and transparent process – a process lead by the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners – has any hope of address these concerns.
Statement signed by all members of the Common Council.
More about the Retirement of Chief Flynn
- Ed Flynn Looks Back — And Ahead - Dave Fidlin - Feb 9th, 2018
- Police Chief Flynn Resigns - Bruce Murphy and Graham Kilmer - Jan 8th, 2018
- Flynn Departure Creates New Opportunities - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Jan 8th, 2018
- Common Council Statement on Flynn Retirement - Milwaukee Common Council - Jan 8th, 2018
- Fire & Police Commission Response to Chief Flynn Retirement Announcement - City of Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission - Jan 8th, 2018
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by City of Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission
The board members and staff of the FPC have reluctantly accepted this news and wish to thank Assistant Chief Harpole for his over 30 years of service to our community.
The event will be held on Thursday, February 8, 2018 at the Mexican Fiesta Headquarters located at 2997 S. 20th Street.