Chief’s comments outrageous
Statement from Alderman Bob Donovan July 20, 2015
During an appearance this afternoon, with the mayor standing quietly beside him, Chief Flynn said this:
“We expect criminals to act recklessly without regard for lives of the innocent. We expect the police to put the lives of the innocent first. I think it’s unfortunate we’ve got some politicians out there that think the police should be thinking like criminals.”
For the Chief to equate highly trained, professional and sworn law enforcement officers with criminals is simply outrageous. Our officers are sworn to apprehend those who break the law, and when they are allowed to do their jobs they’re pretty damn good at it.
Officers perform duties on a daily basis that most of us would not ever think of performing. And for this chief – in his twisted logic – to compare the thoughtful and measured actions of officers with those of reckless criminals, is utterly outrageous and disappointing.
The Chief’s comments are an insult to our dedicated officers, and he quite apparently has lost his sense of proportion.
And how about the mayor? When will we hear from Milwaukee’s CEO on this important topic (no pursuit policy)?
He seems content to simply hide behind someone else – in this instance the Chief – and his comments.
More about the Pursuit Policy
- Murphy’s Law: Should Cops Do More High Speed Chases? - Bruce Murphy - May 26th, 2017
- Kansas City, KS reverses pursuit policy to address “skyrocketing crime - Ald. Bob Donovan - May 15th, 2017
- Fire and Police Commission Releases Report on Police Vehicle Pursuits - City of Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission - May 10th, 2017
- Thirteen Council members demand action from MPD, FPC - Ald. Bob Donovan - Apr 20th, 2017
- James Methu’s Statement on Public Safety in Milwaukee - James Methu - Jan 25th, 2016
- Skyrocketing auto thefts a symptom of larger issues - Ald. Bob Donovan - Nov 4th, 2015
- Chief’s comments outrageous - Ald. Bob Donovan - Jul 20th, 2015
- Alderman Donovan asks for change in MPD vehicle pursuit policy - Ald. Bob Donovan - Apr 7th, 2015
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Bob Donovan
Joint Statement from Alderman Bob Donovan, Alderman José G. Pérez and Alderman Mark A. Borkowski - March 19, 2018
11 a.m. on Monday, March 19
Statement from Alderman Bob Donovan - March 1, 2018