Chairwoman Nicholson Supports County and State Efforts to End Marijuana Prohibition
MILWAUKEE – Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson weighed in today on two new proposals related to marijuana use and possession at the state and local levels.
Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson released the following statement regarding these proposals:
“I applaud Governor Evers and my colleague Supervisor Ortiz-Velez on their respective proposals to legalize marijuana in the State of Wisconsin and significantly reduce the fine for marijuana possession in Milwaukee County.
“Legalizing and decriminalizing marijuana can help us work towards our goal of achieving racial equity and making Milwaukee County the healthiest in Wisconsin. We have seen time and time again that our drug laws have had a disproportionately negative impact on Black communities. Legalization in other states has often brought greater benefits to white and affluent communities by excluding those affected by the war on drugs from its associated economic opportunities. The proposals from Supervisor Ortiz-Velez and the Governor are great steps forward in righting the wrongs of the past.
“My hope is that the State Legislature includes Governor Evers’ proposal in the final state budget, but I understand this will be an uphill climb. This is why it is important that we do all that we can on the local level to decriminalize marijuana possession and free our constituents from the undue financial burden currently put upon those charged with possessing small amounts of marijuana.”
Nicholson previously voted in favor of a 2019 County resolution in support of Governor Evers’ proposals to legalize medical marijuana.
- Senator Agard Sends Letter to JFC Co-Chairs in Support of Keeping Legalization of Marijuana in State Budget - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Feb 10th, 2021
- Chairwoman Nicholson Supports County and State Efforts to End Marijuana Prohibition - County Board Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson - Feb 10th, 2021
- MKE County: Resolution Cuts Pot Possession Fine to $1 - Graham Kilmer - Feb 9th, 2021
- Supervisor Ortiz-Velez Introduces Proposal Reducing Penalty for Marijuana Possession - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Feb 9th, 2021
- Wisconsin Would Use Marijuana Legalization to Pay For Education, Equity - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2021
- Senator Agard Supports Governor Evers’ Budget Provision to Legalize and Tax Marijuana in Wisconsin - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Feb 7th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Proposes Legalizing Marijuana, Investing Portion of Revenue in Equity Initiatives and Rural Schools - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 7th, 2021
- County Supervisors Back $1 Pot Penalty - Gretchen Schuldt - Feb 6th, 2021
- Cannabis Reform Gets Bipartisan Support - Isiah Holmes - Nov 8th, 2020
- A Day to Consider Legalizing Pot - Isiah Holmes - Apr 20th, 2020
Read more about Legalizing of Marijuana here