AFSCME Wisconsin Statement on Assembly Speaker Robin Vos & Republican Caucus Proposed COVID Legislation
The COVID-19 legislation proposed by Assembly Speaker Robin Vos and the Assembly Republican caucus further endangers the health and safety of Wisconsinites and essential workers. As introduced, the proposal is an utter disgrace to our communities.
Despite Wisconsin’s designation as a COVID-19 hotspot, the proposal forces state employees to return to their physical offices by January 31, 2021 and requires state buildings to fully open to the public. These measures endanger the lives of AFSCME members, our families, and neighbors.
AFSCME Wisconsin Executive Director Patrick Wycoff stated, “Speaker Vos is willing to gamble with the lives of hardworking Wisconsinites in a brazen attempt to score political points. While essential workers protect our children and show up to staff prisons, mental health facilities and hospitals, the Republican caucus went missing in action. Now they return from a 230-day vacation with legislation that puts essential workers and all citizens in harm’s way.”
Executive Director Wycoff continued, “The latest bill authored by Speaker Vos and his Republican caucus is another example of divide and conquer tactics which pit worker against worker and put the collective health of our state at risk. We call on the Governor to veto this bill in its entirety. We thank the Speaker and Assembly Republicans for reminding us that as much as we want people to do the jobs that they were hired for, or elected to do, it’s safer for everyone if some people just stay home.”
- Data Wonk: How Republicans Are Killing Their Supporters - Bruce Thompson - Dec 8th, 2021
- Hospital Leaders Sound Alarm On COVID Surge - Diane Bezucha - Dec 7th, 2021
- Federal-State Battle Over School Pandemic Aid - Erik Gunn - Dec 7th, 2021
- 87,000 Children In State Now Vaccinated - Madeline Fox - Dec 6th, 2021
- First Case of the Omicron Variant Identified in Wisconsin - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 4th, 2021
- DHS Provides Update on Omicron Variant - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 3rd, 2021
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Dec 3rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff in Honor of Firefighter Brandon R. Romo - Gov. Tony Evers - Dec 3rd, 2021
- Americans for Prosperity Calls on Gov. Evers to Protect WI Workers Against Misguided Vaccine & Testing Mandates - AFP Wisconsin - Dec 2nd, 2021
- Protecting against a new variant - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Dec 2nd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here