AFSCME Wisconsin Statement on Assembly Speaker Robin Vos & Republican Caucus Proposed COVID Legislation
The COVID-19 legislation proposed by Assembly Speaker Robin Vos and the Assembly Republican caucus further endangers the health and safety of Wisconsinites and essential workers. As introduced, the proposal is an utter disgrace to our communities.
Despite Wisconsin’s designation as a COVID-19 hotspot, the proposal forces state employees to return to their physical offices by January 31, 2021 and requires state buildings to fully open to the public. These measures endanger the lives of AFSCME members, our families, and neighbors.
AFSCME Wisconsin Executive Director Patrick Wycoff stated, “Speaker Vos is willing to gamble with the lives of hardworking Wisconsinites in a brazen attempt to score political points. While essential workers protect our children and show up to staff prisons, mental health facilities and hospitals, the Republican caucus went missing in action. Now they return from a 230-day vacation with legislation that puts essential workers and all citizens in harm’s way.”
Executive Director Wycoff continued, “The latest bill authored by Speaker Vos and his Republican caucus is another example of divide and conquer tactics which pit worker against worker and put the collective health of our state at risk. We call on the Governor to veto this bill in its entirety. We thank the Speaker and Assembly Republicans for reminding us that as much as we want people to do the jobs that they were hired for, or elected to do, it’s safer for everyone if some people just stay home.”
- WI Daily: 840 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 25th, 2021
- Evers Signs Bill on Unemployment System - Laurel White - Feb 25th, 2021
- DHS Announces Groups Eligible for COVID-19 Vaccine on March 1 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 25th, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department Adjusts Testing Hours at American Family Field - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Feb 25th, 2021
- WI Daily: 747 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by AFSCME Wisconsin Council 32
Wycoff has a rich AFSCME history and deep devotion to the labor movement.